Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel P-State Changes Could Improve iGPU-Bound Performance - Some Cases ~15%, ~43% Perf-Per-Watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel P-State Changes Could Improve iGPU-Bound Performance - Some Cases ~15%, ~43% Perf-Per-Watt

Phoronix: Intel P-State Changes Could Improve iGPU-Bound Performance - Some Cases ~15%, ~43% Perf-Per-Watt

We've known that Intel's P-State Linux CPU frequency scaling driver in general can be a bit quirky and especially so when dealing with Intel integrated graphics where the iGPU and CPU share the same power envelope. This has been shown with examples like using the "powersave" governor to boost iGPU performance while discrete graphics owners are generally best off switching over to the "performance" governor. As the latest though on helping the iGPU front with P-State, there is a new patch series talking up big gains in performance and power efficiency...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So are we really talking about -33% in gains when LVI is factored in?

Comment

I appreciate Intel working on these P-State patches to benefit my aging ivybridge laptop. Hope skeevy420 is only joking about the impact of LVI.

Comment

I am really excited about these patches, as far as I can tell, CPU power management stealing watts away from the GPU unnecessarily is one of the main differences between Windows and Linux gaming performance. This should help a lot. Here's hoping something can land in the kernel.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
          I appreciate Intel working on these P-State patches to benefit my aging ivybridge laptop. Hope skeevy420 is only joking about the impact of LVI.
          Yeah, I hope it's only a joke too.

I also appreciate their work.

I found it hard to not comment due to seeing a vulnerability with a loss in performance article followed by a new patches improve performance article. That's just funny right there.

Comment

Benchmarks, benchmarks, benchmarks!!

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
              Benchmarks, benchmarks, benchmarks!!
              I will have my own soon while Intel's reference values are @ http://people.freedesktop.org/~curro...arison-ICL.log
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah, I hope it's only a joke too.

I also appreciate their work.

I found it hard to not comment due to seeing a vulnerability with a loss in performance article followed by a new patches improve performance article. That's just funny right there.
                You were faster...

But do they (really) think this could in any way circumvent LVI?

Comment

Kayden I appreciate the good job. Thanks a lot and keep it coming

Comment

This one's all Francisco Jerez—it's been about two years in the making I believe. I've just been watching and am a fan of his work :)
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                    X