No announcement yet.

LVI Attack Hits Intel SGX - Defeats Existing Mitigations, More Performance Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what is the fastest non-speculative CPU ? Cortex-A53 ?
    Maybe I should only do online banking on my RPI

Comment

EPYC for the win. But seriously, when do we arrive at the point where Intel is finished, where their offerings are not competitive anymore due to known and unknown security risks or more performance mitigations? Or are we there already with LVI?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        ,,,more performance mitigations?
        lol, "performance mitigations"

Comment

Alright just for the heck of it. Here is a conspiracy theory for those of you that wear tin foil hats. The CPU's are made faulty on purpose so that we will have to rewrite programs so that they run slower and we want to buy faster CPU's.... My core 2 duo from 2008 is still plenty fast enough for most use cases 😁

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

is there an AMD competitor to the dell xps 13 developer edition 2020 model?
            I need a new laptop but I don't want to reward Intel for this chicanery.

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post
              Lenovo has T models (T14, T14s) with AMD in the near (~Q2) pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by project_phelius View Post
                4xxx series launching on 16 this month.

Comment

That LVI website has a sensationalist design. So much bold text.

On the other hand, I'm coming to actively despise Intel for recklessly screwing up the entire market. No care for the fact that people use this hardware for critical or far-reaching purposes, no thought for making the entire computer industry a laughingstock, no professional engineering mindset. Intel's past executives might as well have worn clown suits to match their mental processes.

I hope AMD obtains enough fab capacity to send Intel into the minority for the next ten years.

Comment

This is showing more and more why documented, open systems like POWER or RISC-V are required for security. These kind of internal design flaws and hacks for them tend to show up in the early init firmware, if not somewhere in the processor documentation (wonder why they're NDA restricted from Intel and AMD? )

AMD may have done less wrong than Intel lately, but they still use the same core design of requiring hidden black boxes (ME, PSP) and megabytes of closed source, signed firmware. I fully expect when AMD is prodded enough and some of the obscurity is removed by security researchers, there will be critical issues discovered there too, and those affected will be wholly dependent on AMD's good graces if they want to release fixed firmware or not.
                    Last edited by madscientist159; 10 March 2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post
                      This is showing more and more why documented, open systems like POWER or RISC-V are required for security. These kind of internal design flaws and hacks for them tend to show up in the early init firmware, if not somewhere in the processor documentation (wonder why they're NDA restricted from Intel and AMD? )

AMD may have done less wrong than Intel lately, but they still use the same core design of requiring hidden black boxes (ME, PSP) and megabytes of closed source, signed firmware. I fully expect when AMD is prodded enough and some of the obscurity is removed by security researchers, there will be critical issues discovered there too, and those affected will be wholly dependent on AMD's good graces if they want to release fixed firmware or not.
                      there is maybe some voodoo black magic mind control who let the people just shot them self in a suicide run...

any sane person with money in the pocket should just buy a IBM POWER CPU based system right now.
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X