Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Continues Bring-Up Of New Gateway SoC Architecture On Linux, ComboPHY Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Continues Bring-Up Of New Gateway SoC Architecture On Linux, ComboPHY Driver

Phoronix: Intel Continues Bring-Up Of New Gateway SoC Architecture On Linux, ComboPHY Driver

Besides all the usual hardware enablement activities with the usual names by Intel's massive open-source team working on the Linux kernel, one of the more peculiar bring-ups recently has been around the "Intel Gateway SoC" with more work abound for Linux 5.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's interesting here is that they seem to be using OpenFirmware to configure this PHY, not some hacked up ACPI table.

Comment

I'd have picked a better name

than a Walmart Special from the late 90s

C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker! better be the name of the exploit based on that driver

My apologies, TFA brought up some memories.

Comment

Does this have anything to do with the networking offload capabilities of the newly announced Atom P5900 with its 100GbE?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I'd have picked a better name

than a Walmart Special from the late 90s

C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker! better be the name of the exploit based on that driver

My apologies, TFA brought up some memories.
          Hey, at least Gateway System CDs are a good way to get Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11 for Workgroups into your DOSBox if you have a non-OEM license for them but no longer have a floppy drive or your floppies have died.

Gateway's also the only OEM I've seen to offer up all four Microsoft Entertainment Packs on a CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
            Does this have anything to do with the networking offload capabilities of the newly announced Atom P5900 with its 100GbE?
            Not really. This is Intels way of combining simple PHYs for different protocols into one ungodly complicated PHY as a one size fits all.
            Most offloading capabilities in a Ethernet NIC is in the MAC. PHY is the physical media.
            The user interface in the PHY is just probably a switch from the different capabilities. The inside is probably a mess.
            Last edited by milkylainen; 26 February 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X