Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Adds VA-API Acceleration For HEVC REXT To FFmpeg

Phoronix: Intel Adds VA-API Acceleration For HEVC REXT To FFmpeg

Intel open-source developers have contributed support for VA-API acceleration of HEVC REXT "Range Extensions" content with the widely-used FFmpeg library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes!! 4:4:4!!!

I'm still waiting for the desktop processor or Intel Xe though...

(...and for AMD to do 4:4:4)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 25 February 2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I'm wondering what do they use ZeroMQ for?

Comment

And I am still waiting for hardware accelerated video decoding in all browsers by default on Linux [there are patched binaries for some distributions but that is neither efficient nor enough in my eyes].

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          And I am still waiting for hardware accelerated video decoding in all browsers by default on Linux [there are patched binaries for some distributions but that is neither efficient nor enough in my eyes].
          Firefox is really close for this with Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

Firefox is really close for this with Wayland
            Close, but not there yet. In 2020. It is still puzzling to my with all the companies who want Linux to succeed on the desktop that lacking such fundamental feature in 2020 is still a thing.

Comment

Close, but not there yet. In 2020. It is still puzzling to my with all the companies who want Linux to succeed on the desktop that lacking such fundamental feature in 2020 is still a thing.
              Well, everyone is invited to help
              The fact that the linux desktop works at all is AFAICS only possible thanks to many independent contributors all over the place, as there are not enough companies / not enough money to facilitate an enormous tasks as like having a free operating system that is on par with Windows and MacOS.
              Experimental VAAPI support for Firefox will ship with 75 (on Wayland), so the distributions shipping in fall will likely have it by default at last (I guess Fedora will have to figure out licensing issues though).

Comment

Solution: don't use your browser for watching videos; use mpv always!

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Well, everyone is invited to help
                  The fact that the linux desktop works at all is AFAICS only possible thanks to many independent contributors all over the place, as there are not enough companies / not enough money to facilitate an enormous tasks as like having a free operating system that is on par with Windows and MacOS.
                  Experimental VAAPI support for Firefox will ship with 75 (on Wayland), so the distributions shipping in fall will likely have it by default at last (I guess Fedora will have to figure out licensing issues though).
                  As I am not a sw developer, my personal contribution came down to voice my concerns to the Chromium devs in the corresponding bug entry, their arguments didn't seem too compelling though, just shifting the burden of maintenance on distribution maintainers. And you might wonder that a company with such big talk on sustainability and energy saving would take another decision or at least propose solutions for a better way forward, they ship the same patches with ChromeOS after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post

Solution: don't use your browser for watching videos; use mpv always!
                    I first thought you were joking, but after doing a quick research it should indeed be possible to open youtube videos with mpv, albeit I don't find it practical at all to look up each URL first for each video I might want to be interested in watching.

Comment

Working...
                    X