Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Oh no! I guess they'll just have to add them into the next point release! How will we ever cope!
    Well, let's take a look at this. A stable kernel comes out, distros take it up and virtually all Intel systems become unusable in X simply opening PyCharm. I was one of the "duplicate" bug reporters and had to abandon 5.5.2 two reboots in as X would immediately hang.
    What's worse, the i915 team had no idea the patches didn't actually make it into the kernel tree until the bug reports started coming in.
    I have a feeling they are severely understaffed, don't have testing infra or any management support as it's all a crapshoot. These guys, at least in theory, should have access to all chips and testing equipment necessary a year before they even release and they barely seem to be able to test at all.

So how will we cope? Actually, the only coping mechanism to those that were forced to go into 5.5 already via their distro would've had to manually downgrade. That's not a coping mechanism available to most basic users.
    Last edited by arcivanov; 12 February 2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hmm... Maybe they need a little dashboard to track which Git branches their patches are in

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Very true. I'm glad I keep another kernel around, since Linux 5.5 completely broke my Intel 3168 wifi (iwlwifi driver) (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65359).

It baffles me the basic Arch kernel package just blows away the previous version without even trying to actually boot the knew one. Easy enough to fix by keeping an LTS kernel backup, but still.
        for me was with intel 9260 wifi with 5.4, 6.4 hangs a lot my igpu and wifi simply not working, 5.3 was a good kernel and with 5.5 some errors gone, 5.4 was a complety disaster with new hardware from intel

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          Ain't that the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Well, you know... not everyone has your hardware...
            most other distros keep 3 kernels around for you to fall back to in case the latest kernel does not boot or has other issues. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
              This is the main downside from being on something like Arch, and I say this as a user of Arch for >10 years.
              Arch doesn't really test anything. They trust upstream. I don't disagree with their model, but it does let stuff like this happen every now and then.
              That's why I treat LTS as stable and mainline as beta. Also because I'm a ZoL user and sometimes they lag behind mainline point releases.

Comment

Originally posted by arcivanov View Post

Well, let's take a look at this. A stable kernel comes out, distros take it up and virtually all Intel systems become unusable in X simply opening PyCharm. I was one of the "duplicate" bug reporters and had to abandon 5.5.2 two reboots in as X would immediately hang.
                What's worse, the i915 team had no idea the patches didn't actually make it into the kernel tree until the bug reports started coming in.
                I have a feeling they are severely understaffed, don't have testing infra or any management support as it's all a crapshoot. These guys, at least in theory, should have access to all chips and testing equipment necessary a year before they even release and they barely seem to be able to test at all.

So how will we cope? Actually, the only coping mechanism to those that were forced to go into 5.5 already via their distro would've had to manually downgrade. That's not a coping mechanism available to most basic users.
                Are you one of those understaffed Intel guys?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  most other distros keep 3 kernels around for you to fall back to in case the latest kernel does not boot or has other issues. Just saying
                  Like Manjaro

Code:
                  mhwd-kernel -l
                  available kernels:
                     * linux316
                     * linux414
                     * linux419
                     * linux44
                     * linux49
                     * linux53
                     * linux54
                     * linux55
                     * linux419-rt
                     * linux54-rt

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Are you one of those understaffed Intel guys?
                    Nope, I run Linux as my primary laptop with Coffeelake and i915 hangs/rcs0 resets and overall lack of driver stability is extremely frustrating. I'm sad to say, but I never had issues like that with graphics driver performance on Windows, and I haven't used Windows in 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      There is linux-lts which you can install in parallel to fix things or use it as a fallback. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X