Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

Phoronix: Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

While Linux 5.5 is out in the wild now as the latest stable version of the Linux kernel, it turns out some Intel kernel graphics driver patches were overlooked and this can spell trouble for some users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh no! I guess they'll just have to add them into the next point release! How will we ever cope!

Comment

I guess I should be glad that I'm not using Intel HD 3000, which is a GPU hang galore on linux. I haven't ran into this issue, but I haven't been doing anything GPU intensive recently, and HD 4000 isn't prone to hangs from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Oh no! I guess they'll just have to add them into the next point release! How will we ever cope!
        This is serious not because they missed a "point release", but because it shows that there is not much control check, so other drivers could also be fucked up. It also means that while pushing those patches unexpectedly, other drivers/patches might need to wait, so it has to be rescheduled, which is time consuming and sucky.

Comment

Comment

This is the main downside from being on something like Arch, and I say this as a user of Arch for >10 years.
            Arch doesn't really test anything. They trust upstream. I don't disagree with their model, but it does let stuff like this happen every now and then.

Comment

It seems that there are still some gaps in their testing....
              ​​

Comment

With the recent kernels (>=4.3) the Intel graphics experience ust just a sad joke. GPU hangs are a daily bread and with early 4.3s you couldn't even get the machine to boot. I don't know what they've done to their kernel driver, but it sure jadę a deep scratch on my perception of the Intel graphics being the leading example how to do graphics on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  This is the main downside from being on something like Arch, and I say this as a user of Arch for >10 years.
                  Arch doesn't really test anything. They trust upstream. I don't disagree with their model, but it does let stuff like this happen every now and then.
                  Very true. I'm glad I keep another kernel around, since Linux 5.5 completely broke my Intel 3168 wifi (iwlwifi driver) (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65359).

It baffles me the basic Arch kernel package just blows away the previous version without even trying to actually boot the knew one. Easy enough to fix by keeping an LTS kernel backup, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                    It baffles me the basic Arch kernel package just blows away the previous version without even trying to actually boot the knew one. Easy enough to fix by keeping an LTS kernel backup, but still.
                    Well, you know... not everyone has your hardware...

Comment

Working...
                    X