Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

    Phoronix: Whoops, Linux 5.5 Missed Some "Critical" Intel Graphics Driver Patches

    While Linux 5.5 is out in the wild now as the latest stable version of the Linux kernel, it turns out some Intel kernel graphics driver patches were overlooked and this can spell trouble for some users...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...issed-Graphics

  • #2
    Oh no! I guess they'll just have to add them into the next point release! How will we ever cope!

    Comment


    • #3
      I guess I should be glad that I'm not using Intel HD 3000, which is a GPU hang galore on linux. I haven't ran into this issue, but I haven't been doing anything GPU intensive recently, and HD 4000 isn't prone to hangs from my experience.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Oh no! I guess they'll just have to add them into the next point release! How will we ever cope!
        This is serious not because they missed a "point release", but because it shows that there is not much control check, so other drivers could also be fucked up. It also means that while pushing those patches unexpectedly, other drivers/patches might need to wait, so it has to be rescheduled, which is time consuming and sucky.

        Comment


        • #5

          Comment


          • #6
            This is the main downside from being on something like Arch, and I say this as a user of Arch for >10 years.
            Arch doesn't really test anything. They trust upstream. I don't disagree with their model, but it does let stuff like this happen every now and then.

            Comment


            • #7
              It seems that there are still some gaps in their testing....
              ​​

              Comment


              • #8
                With the recent kernels (>=4.3) the Intel graphics experience ust just a sad joke. GPU hangs are a daily bread and with early 4.3s you couldn't even get the machine to boot. I don't know what they've done to their kernel driver, but it sure jadę a deep scratch on my perception of the Intel graphics being the leading example how to do graphics on Linux.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  This is the main downside from being on something like Arch, and I say this as a user of Arch for >10 years.
                  Arch doesn't really test anything. They trust upstream. I don't disagree with their model, but it does let stuff like this happen every now and then.
                  Very true. I'm glad I keep another kernel around, since Linux 5.5 completely broke my Intel 3168 wifi (iwlwifi driver) (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65359).

                  It baffles me the basic Arch kernel package just blows away the previous version without even trying to actually boot the knew one. Easy enough to fix by keeping an LTS kernel backup, but still.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nranger View Post
                    It baffles me the basic Arch kernel package just blows away the previous version without even trying to actually boot the knew one. Easy enough to fix by keeping an LTS kernel backup, but still.
                    Well, you know... not everyone has your hardware...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X