Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel MPX Support Is Dead With Linux 5.6

Phoronix: Intel MPX Support Is Dead With Linux 5.6

Following on from last week's story that it was looking like Linux 5.6 would drop Intel MPX support, that has now taken place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good riddance. I always resented Intel for stealing the acronym already in use for Multi-Pointer X. ;P

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      Good riddance. I always resented Intel for stealing the acronym already in use for Multi-Pointer X. ;P
      Microsoft are masters at stealing acronyms and things:

- XInput for Xbox controller input (it was the X11 input mechanism)
      - GVFS for Git Virtual File System (it was for something in GNOME)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Microsoft are masters at stealing acronyms and things:

- XInput for Xbox controller input (it was the X11 input mechanism)
        - GVFS for Git Virtual File System (it was for something in GNOME)
        Doubt either of these are intentional given that name collisions are quite common in the industry (ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go!_(p...ct_with_Google) and the latter was renamed

Comment

I always found it odd that MPX failed at what it was intended to do, so much so that software implementations are faster. One would think it could be worked into the execution pipeline so it can be faster than a software implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
            I always found it odd that MPX failed at what it was intended to do, so much so that software implementations are faster. One would think it could be worked into the execution pipeline so it can be faster than a software implementation.
            Apparently MPX was slower than purely software-based alternatives.

Comment

BOUND exception is dead again.

Comment

Working...
              X