X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    it's not a major problem but you do want to mitigate it then disable i915 for now. Its not a recommendation for normal users.
    Not a problem until the mitigation via kernel update enforces it. I'm still curious for other confirmations about increase in watts drawn for Gen9+, I'll take the local vulnerability over losing a notable hit on battery life..

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Intel sucks. It needs real competition, more than AMD and Chinese-only market CPUs derived from VIA.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Yep, that's a significant difference from "recommend". They're not saying "we think you should do this" — they're saying "this _will_ fix the issue if you're willing to accept the disadvantages".
    It's a mitigation, not a fix. Disabling an entire kernel module and losing functionality is NOT a fix unless the whole hardware is malware and must be turned off.

Which in case of Intel it's not THAT far off from the truth anyway.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Does this mean I can't play Crysis on RHEL any longer? If true it's a huge bummer.
    Does Intel Graphics even run Crysis? I'm pretty sure they still can't.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    RH did not use the word recommend, but used the word mitigation. That is common in the security space where one can mitigate against the vuln until patches/fixes/process can be applied.
    Yep, that's a significant difference from "recommend". They're not saying "we think you should do this" — they're saying "this _will_ fix the issue if you're willing to accept the disadvantages".

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    That is a pretty significant cut in performance. Effectively no GPU acceleration at all. The security impact must be greater than first imagined if RedHat suggest this.
    ​​​​​Its the opposite case, if it was important enough it would be fixed on 0 day, it's not a major problem but you do want to mitigate it then disable i915 for now. Its not a recommendation for normal users.

Leave a comment:

• czz0
    replied
    You'd have to run a malicious binary anyway, which can already do whatever it wants, and far worse than the end result of this.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    RH did not use the word recommend, but used the word mitigation. That is common in the security space where one can mitigate against the vuln until patches/fixes/process can be applied.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Does this mean I can't play Crysis on RHEL any longer? If true it's a huge bummer.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    Renoir can't come soon enough. This is getting ridiculous.
    The funny thing here is that I spent the last two years with my older ryzen based laptop getting faster and faster as new updates came out. In fact I'd have to say that the drivers are now pretty good and kernel support is close to complete. To put it another way most of the grief of the bleeding edge has passed. I'm expecting Renoir to be even better.

So much better in fact that I'm seriously considering an early upgrade. The only thing it will not be is an HP! HP BIOS support sucks and their batteries simply don't last and are hard to replace. To that end I'm looking for a model/manufacture that builds decent hardware and actually supports it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X