Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Mitigation For CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability Obliterates Gen7 iGPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devius
    replied
    Alright, time to start looking for a new Ryzen based desktop.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    That's bad. I thought I could use my remaining Intel media server and notebook little longer, but with this issue now I will try to replace them earlier. For sure not with Intel anymore!
    I was somewhat concerned when I purchased my Ryzen based laptops couple of years ago. Frankly I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well the processor works. There was teething pains when Linux first came upon the platform but it was immediately better than the Windows offering.

the biggest negatives I’ve had are not AMD related. The battery didn’t last at all for example and BIOS support sucks. As such I can’t recommend HP at all, however it looks like Ryzen 4000 APUs will have dozens of manufactures to choose from.

as an aside, for the most part the machine has gotten faster with each update from Fedora. That has a lot todo with vastly improved GPU drivers and other fixes. By the way this generation Ryzen mobile (my now old laptop) might not be the technical power house that today’s processors are but I still maintain that this $700 laptop performs better than a 13” MBP from 2017

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Blunt answer: complete non-issue.

Business computers using an iGPU aren't going to be doing much with it beyond hardware acceleration of the Windows desktop and Microsoft Office. And these are already very low in resource usage.

Those with more demanding requirements will already have computers loaded with a dGPU.

Perceptible impact will be essentially zero.

Only consumers will try something silly like playing games on an Intel iGPU.
    I wish that was true. In many corporate environments you get what is issued. Need to run 3D CAD on your laptop - though luck!

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Its worth noting, that once again, the Itanium uarch is immune.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    the -260% ish It's a java benchmark, everything can happen
    Made my day

Seems you've made the same experiences using java like me.

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    I smell a new form of Planned Obscolescence.

Leave a comment:

• marlock
    replied
    Originally posted by uid20263-sonadow View Post
    Blunt answer: complete non-issue.

Business computers using an iGPU aren't going to be doing much with it beyond hardware acceleration of the Windows desktop and Microsoft Office. And these are already very low in resource usage.

Those with more demanding requirements will already have computers loaded with a dGPU.

Perceptible impact will be essentially zero.

Only consumers will try something silly like playing games on an Intel iGPU.
    Actually if you look at the benchmarks, browsers are the heart and soul of common business and home use cases, and that was also greatly affected, as can be seen in Java 2D and such. And then you have to consider how this impacts all those lovely Eclipse apps out there too... and hope MS Office isn't becoming one, and pray that Office365 isn't as common as MS would want it... but MS Teams, Sharepoint, OneDrive, IBM Lotus Notes, the entire suite of Google office apps, ESRI's Portal for ArcGIS, ... those are all certainly affected.

Sure, as only old gen Intel iGPUs are severely affected, they are already not the greatest even for these tasks... but in my own work experience, swapping HDDs for SSDs and ensuring 8GB of RAM (both things you can upgrade even in laptops and not so common in cheap setups at the time) could still have extracted a longer lifetime for those venerable junks... and now this much of a slowdown is possibly nosediving them below minimal acceptable performance even with the mentioned upgrades.

ps: can anyone help me get the right uid for quoting? can't find forum comment syntax help anywhere and looks like I botched this bit of the guesswork

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    If I'm not totally wrong there is a big math problem in the graphs on page 1. If we're loosing more than 100 percent of performance, we will have negative fps. Essentially our displays will become scanners, where you need to input frames instead of outputting those.

If we're loosing half the performance, we should be at 50%, not 100%.
    the -260% ish It's a java benchmark, everything can happen

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    Mine old AMD Athlon II X3 with mobo integrated HD3200 is getting better and better with each Intel vulnerability

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    I'm no AMD fanboy, but.. now I am!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X