Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Mitigation For CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability Obliterates Gen7 iGPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ugh by 2050 our processor will be as slow as a 68000 due to mitigation overload :<
    Interesting but I was always impressed with the 68000. Back in the day my first really useful computer was a MacPlus which amazed me compare to the various 8 bit trash that came before it.

I always thought it was too bad Motorola could not move the platform forward at the rate X86 evolved. As for Intel, frankly they deserve all the grief they are getting right now. I’m glad to see operations like ARM and AMD giving them all the heat they can. The one reason I hate the likes of E Warren is that you need big businesses to go after companies like Intel.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        how visible this will be in the corporate world where the sales are right now for Intel.
        Blunt answer: complete non-issue.

Business computers using an iGPU aren't going to be doing much with it beyond hardware acceleration of the Windows desktop and Microsoft Office. And these are already very low in resource usage.

Those with more demanding requirements will already have computers loaded with a dGPU.

Perceptible impact will be essentially zero.

Only consumers will try something silly like playing games on an Intel iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          FYI, will also be testing on some other Ivy bridge / Haswell systems tomorrow, gotta see what I still have in the racks (or what I feel like assembling otherwise when digging through the CPU vault).
          is it possible to get some laptop benchmarks including power usage before/after mitigation too?

Comment

Intel is now perfect National Spy Agency CPU. I have one to spare..

Comment

I'm still running a i7-3537U. Though I don't game on it, thankfully.

Comment

It's interesting the losses are negligible on Gen 9 architecture.

They improved preemption granularity on Gen 9, to improve responsiveness in multi-tasking compute workloads.

Comment

Classic Shintel

Comment

That's bad. I thought I could use my remaining Intel media server and notebook little longer, but with this issue now I will try to replace them earlier. For sure not with Intel anymore!

Comment

There it is again, the Intel Slow Down Department strikes back.

Comment

Working...
                      X