Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Mitigation For CVE-2019-14615 Graphics Vulnerability Obliterates Gen7 iGPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    If I'm not totally wrong there is a big math problem in the graphs on page 1. If we're loosing more than 100 percent of performance, we will have negative fps. Essentially our displays will become scanners, where you need to input frames instead of outputting those.

If we're loosing half the performance, we should be at 50%, not 100%.

Leave a comment:

• misGnomer
    replied
    Another victim here.

My personal desktop and laptops have been hit by all the Intel mitigations already, but as I occasionally use the (Haswell) desktop for light casual gaming this looks like the end of the rope.

One of my personal environmental requirements is energy efficiency and until now Haswell just about made the grade. Doesn't look like the hardware is suitable for post-retirement media service either.

I don't have too many positive feelings towards Intel Corp. these days, but I'm still grateful for their Linux devs for the great work they've done over the years. This isn't their fault.

Now, looking into the future I would love to see some *standardized* and *modular* laptop designs where most components are user-replaceable (even if in a workshop) and upgradeable, batteries included. Few of us actually *needs* a wafer-thin fully glued closed-box "com-book" that needs to be disposed of after only two years of use.

Meanwhile it would be nice if I could take my still otherwise perfect Intel laptop to a shop and have them replace the Intel innards with new (ARM or AMD?) parts instead of having to 'landfill' the entire unit.

Back to the Haswell desktop and its graphics implosion: one partial solution could be disabling the iGPU and getting a really energy efficient latest gen *passively cooled* graphics card. Looks like Intel themselves have had half a year to consider providing just such a solution, but somehow I don't think that idea ever passed their beancounters. AMD could do it too, and for many graphics-less Ryzen systems such a modern-but-low-end card could be ideal, but where are they?

Leave a comment:

• MadCatX
    replied
    So let me see if I got this right. First we had a major vulnerability in the MEI, then an ongoing series of side-channel attacks on the CPU with serious performance impact, now a security hole in GPUs spanning multiple generations. I wonder if Sandy Bridge is really not affected or if they just didn't bother testing that far back.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Interesting but I was always impressed with the 68000. Back in the day my first really useful computer was a MacPlus which amazed me compare to the various 8 bit trash that came before it.

I always thought it was too bad Motorola could not move the platform forward at the rate X86 evolved. As for Intel, frankly they deserve all the grief they are getting right now. I’m glad to see operations like ARM and AMD giving them all the heat they can. The one reason I hate the likes of E Warren is that you need big businesses to go after companies like Intel.
    I'm amazed this didn't get into a Phoronix article, it seems quite relevant.

For non-US people: The New Yorker - How Elizabeth Warren Came Up with a Plan to Break Up Big Tech.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    There it is again, the Intel Slow Down Department strikes back.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    That's bad. I thought I could use my remaining Intel media server and notebook little longer, but with this issue now I will try to replace them earlier. For sure not with Intel anymore!

Leave a comment:

• Cape
    replied
    Classic Shintel

Leave a comment:

• DavidC1
    replied
    It's interesting the losses are negligible on Gen 9 architecture.

They improved preemption granularity on Gen 9, to improve responsiveness in multi-tasking compute workloads.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rose
    replied
    I'm still running a i7-3537U. Though I don't game on it, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Intel is now perfect National Spy Agency CPU. I have one to spare..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X