Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel At CES 2020 Talks Up One Of Their Open-Source Projects, Shows Off Tiger Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel At CES 2020 Talks Up One Of Their Open-Source Projects, Shows Off Tiger Lake

Phoronix: Intel At CES 2020 Talks Up One Of Their Open-Source Projects, Shows Off Tiger Lake

Following AMD's keynote with announcing the Ryzen 4000 series + RX 5600 XT + Threadripper 3990X, Intel now has up their address from the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Here are all the highlights from the perspective of a Linux user...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Intel Xe DG1 was shown up and running as their first graphics processor running. It was shown running in a mobile form factor.
    Aww... I thought they would release a dedicated graphics card...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Tiger Lake will be coming to notebook OEMs "this summer."
    Nice. We don't even have a single desktop Ice Lake processor and they already want the next thing out.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 06 January 2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

What happened to Intel opening up their FSP? Haven't heard anything since the article from Dec 2018.

Comment

Intel's CES presentation was a tremendous joke!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Nice. We don't even have a single desktop Ice Lake processor and they already want the next thing out.
          Both of those issues are probably caused by inadequacies of the 10nm process. They are simply unable to get big (over 4c) dies out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
            What happened to Intel opening up their FSP? Haven't heard anything since the article from Dec 2018.
            Last I talked to Raja about it was back in May and was still being worked on... Unfortunately I haven't been at an Intel event / seen him since.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Icelake ended up having lower maximum clock speeds, which made it less viable in desktop, since it is slower per thread than their existing chips

Comment

Probably the Xe DG1 can´t compete with other discrete graphics cards, performance as well as efficiency wise, some of this is probably caused by bad design and most of it by intel being unable to produce big chips in 10nm. If they where better designwise, they would have probably released a 14nm chip the aprox. the size of Nvidias 16nm Pascal chips and would have pwned the Pascal architecture in performance / watt easily.. This does not seem to be the case..
                So they resort to small chip 10nm mobile GPUs as this is the only segment where they have competitive advantage (lower power usage with probably almost the same performance).

My personal opinion: The design underperforms, that´s why they don´t realease a discrete GPU in the current 14nm node... B.t.w. the AMD Vega architecture was developed by Raja Koduri which also did lead the Xe development team.. Vega did not perform as expected as well ...

We don´t have any performance specs right now, but my guess is, intel would have released them if they matched or outperformed the competitors in any meaningful way.

Comment

Working...
                X