Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Regressions In Ubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good trick, did not know that

Comment

I must disagree with those who complained about the article. Please continue posting this type of article, perhaps with a slightly more prominent alpha version notice. If nothing else, it gives developers an idea of where they need to focus, in case they are too busy with everything they have to do to run some benchmarks. I also like the articles comparing distributions to one another, and different versions of a single distribution. I doubt that some performance regressions would've been caught by distribution maintainers otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
        I doubt that some performance regressions would've been caught by distribution maintainers otherwise.
        The distribution maintainers don't need to focus on this; the intel driver devs do (and probably are). Given the fact that intel devs have been focusing on getting new technologies into their driver (GEM, DRI2), they probably haven't attempted to optimize it yet. Read bridgman's post again.

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
          I must disagree with those who complained about the article
          I don't disagree, I just think the author of this article could have explain a bit more why there was such differences instead of saying that there was just no improvment since last time.

It's my opinion, but Phoronix is still a very good site about linux hardwares to me

Comment

I confirm the huge regression in Debian Experimental with Linux 2.6.28 kernel, X Server 1.5.99.901 (1.6.0 RC1), xf86-video-intel 2.6.1, and Mesa 7.3-rc3.
            The car racing game Torcs, which was highly playable a couple weeks ago is now totally unplayable: I get 1 frame per second! I got around 20 frames per second with Linux 2.6.28 kernel, xserver-xorg-core 1.5.3, xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.6.0, and Mesa 7.3-rc1.
            Same huge regression with phoronix-test-suite benchmark tremulous: from 11-12 fps to 1-2 fps now.
            On the other hand there is no regression when playing full HD videos: it even seems a little bit smoother.
            Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 27 January 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Sounds like it's falling back to software rendering.

Comment

And after upgrading to KDE 4.2 (from 3.5) I realized that this new KDE crashed just after the KDM login. So I went searching the packages of the previous working version of Xorg (X11, xorg, input files, intel, vesa, mesa) into /var/apt/cache/archives, copied them somewhere else, and managed to downgrade Xorg after reading the chapter named "6.4.11 Local package archive" there: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...ackage.en.html
                Now Torcs and KDE 4.2 work fine!
                Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 29 January 2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                  Ubuntu isn't the only distribution to pick up this code. Other distributions, like Fedora 10, are not in beta anymore.
                  My first post, woo!

Fedora doesn't count. Even when there's an official release, it's meant to be bleeding edge like debian-experimental. Moreso than ubuntu. Different distributions fill different niches, that's fedora's. Fedora drives linux development and testing. Stuff like Ubuntu is more intended to be a distribution meant for regular people.

Comment

Known bug?

I'm curious if the testing included the fix for this bug:
                    libdrm 2.4.1 in Jaunty is configured with --enable-udev, so the device node /dev/dri/card* now is created via udev and patch 01_default_perms.diff does not help to set the right permissions anymore. Therefore /dev/dri/card0 now gets file permissions crw-rw----. This results in poor performance, for example in sauerbraten and glxgears. Changing the permissions to 666 gives the old performance again. On my system I have created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/45-dev-dri-permissions.rules with the l...

If not, it might have been using software rendering.

Comment

I installed Jaunty Alpha 4 the other day, and with the latest packages (plus libsdl from a PPA to fix a bug with OpenGL), the 3D performance on my X4500 has improved massively over 8.10. Tremulous has gone from ~13 fps to 56.6 fps!

Comment

Working...
                      X