Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Regressions In Ubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU use

Those FPS tests are interesting. Would it be any benefit to capture and graph CPU utilization in future tests (in addition to the FPS tests)?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig73 View Post
      Oh ... and I run the Intel driver, and Intrepid, and Ubuntu has only gotten more and more stable for me (except perhaps the current webcam frustrations)
      That's great! However the bug reporting systems for Ubuntu and Fedora indicate that many people are not having as good an experience.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
        Ubuntu isn't the only distribution to pick up this code. Other distributions, like Fedora 10, are not in beta anymore.
        Ubuntu Intrepid is not in beta either. But Jaunty is. So you are saying that Fedora 10 pushes new stable releases (the Intel 2.6.x driver series) after its release? Or are you running a development release of Fedora as well?

Comment

(BTW - I hadn't looked closely at the Intel version numbers... certainly if they are in heavy re-write perhaps 2.6 should really be 2.5.x but if it's stable but slow I guess that's their call)

Comment

Fedora's focus right now seems to be on getting the latest work-in-process features into users hands in order to help the transition to the new Linux graphics stack.

I imagine Ubuntu is picking up this code because they expect it will be solid by the time 9.04 freezes, which seems likely.
            Test signature

Comment

Guys, what's the point? It's Ubuntu 9.04 - meaning the Ubuntu release that will hit gold master sometime in APRIL of this year. They've got around three more months to spit-shine it.

Honestly, were you guys looking for an excuse to link to yourselves? Or wanted to show off the test suite again? Because I can't see any other reason to have this article exist. Just like I said the last time you guys did a write up on Ubuntu-still-in-very-early-development-and-made-up-of-bleeding-edge-packages-top-to-bottom, much more has changed in the upcoming 9.04 release (compared to 8.10) than the Intel driver. You've got a newer kernel and CLI tools on the bottom, and new GUI on top, and, I wouldn't be surprised, plenty of debugging symbols all along the way.

Comment

talking about how Ubuntu is alpha is NOT VALID.
                at this stage in the game, they mostly only do bug fixing, but NEVER major performance enhancements. The speed of 9.04 will likely not be hugely different from alpha3 speeds

odds are ubuntu 9.04 will have intel 2.6.1 (or possibly a bug fix 2.6.x, but it will not magically have a radically different driver)

Comment

@SyXbiT:
                  Oh, they're already in bug-fix mode? Doesn't change anything. If they need to be in feature-freeze, bug-fix mode already, then that still helps prove my point. A buncha new stuff top-to-bottom that needs over three months of bug-fixing? Yeah, you're right. It must be the intel driver, since there's certainly nothing else that might be a regression between the hard drive and your screen.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                    talking about how Ubuntu is alpha is NOT VALID.
                    at this stage in the game, they mostly only do bug fixing, but NEVER major performance enhancements. The speed of 9.04 will likely not be hugely different from alpha3 speeds

odds are ubuntu 9.04 will have intel 2.6.1 (or possibly a bug fix 2.6.x, but it will not magically have a radically different driver)
                    Linux 2.6.29 to be shipped with Ubuntu 9.04 can completely change the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                      Guys, what's the point? It's Ubuntu 9.04 - meaning the Ubuntu release that will hit gold master sometime in APRIL of this year. They've got around three more months to spit-shine it.

Honestly, were you guys looking for an excuse to link to yourselves? Or wanted to show off the test suite again? Because I can't see any other reason to have this article exist. Just like I said the last time you guys did a write up on Ubuntu-still-in-very-early-development-and-made-up-of-bleeding-edge-packages-top-to-bottom, much more has changed in the upcoming 9.04 release (compared to 8.10) than the Intel driver. You've got a newer kernel and CLI tools on the bottom, and new GUI on top, and, I wouldn't be surprised, plenty of debugging symbols all along the way.
                      As someone who uses an X4500 and Ubuntu 8.10 (and doesn't have the HDD space at the moment to install the 9.04 alpha), I greatly appreciate articles like this that show how the performance is progressing.

Comment

Working...
                      X