Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Iris Gallium3D Driver Continuing To See Performance Optimizations On Mesa 20.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel's Iris Gallium3D Driver Continuing To See Performance Optimizations On Mesa 20.0

    Phoronix: Intel's Iris Gallium3D Driver Continuing To See Performance Optimizations On Mesa 20.0

    With the current Mesa 19.3 there is the Intel Gallium3D driver generally performing much better than their "classic" i965 driver and for Mesa 20.0 it looks to only make more ground as it switches over to this driver by default...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...D-Opts-Mesa-20

  • #2
    I continuing to cry over my haswell iGPU

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      I continuing to cry over my haswell iGPU
      Considering they just extended haswell hardware (https://techreport.com/news/3467271/...14nm-shortage/), crying is appropriate...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        I continuing to cry over my haswell iGPU
        I'm still crying over my Haswell iGPU named "Iris" Pro 5200.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ah, those tears!

          The whole Core i7 set can be considered up to date. There is an AVX extension present, 4 cores, plenty Cache size and fast clocks. You would hardly want to upgrade them, they are still very well relevant. It seem the only issue for those powerfull cpus is underpowered graphics and they was labeled legacy in instant, huh! Premature for sure. To me, the Ivy Bridge and Haswell was the first iGPU's capable of something. They almost got 4.6 OpenGL and Vulkan, so it speaks for itself. Yet I can see why the crippled duck was excluded from the Iris driver - too cumbersome to mess with. Being the developer i would think so as well.

          I got 3 Ivy Bridge\Bay Trail powered notebooks, so let me cry a river as well. They all work without issues by the way, and I hope they will.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
            Ah, those tears!
            Haha, well for good reason. I have an Iris gpu but can't use the Iris driver, and Iris also started with Haswell. So one would think a new driver being named after a gpu series, it should start at the beginning, especially when its not that old. I know, I know, I heard the technical reason why, Haswell isn't supported. So the name makes me cry. haha

            Also another reason to cry for Haswell not being supported is because of Final Fantasy VIII Remaster. i965 driver does not work with it. The game can't find OpenGL 3.3 support, even though Haswell supports 4.5 and could support 4.6 but isn't getting tested. So Haswell is screwed out of playing that game. The Iris driver works with the game though. On my laptop with my very crappy i3 broadwell with Intel HD 530, i965 fails but Iris works, but it is to weak to play it full speed. I know that my i7-4770R with Iris Pro 5200 can play it full speed, it is a much better cpu/gpu, but since i965 doesn't work with it, i'm unable to play it. So that is actually a legitimate reason to cry haha.

            So I would be happy if the Iris driver got its named change and i965 got fixed to work with FF8rm or if the Iris driver would go back one more generation to where Iris started, that would fix my problem too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Panda_Wrist View Post
              Also another reason to cry for Haswell not being supported is because of Final Fantasy VIII Remaster. i965 driver does not work with it. The game can't find OpenGL 3.3 support, even though Haswell supports 4.5 and could support 4.6 but isn't getting tested. So Haswell is screwed out of playing that game.
              Did you try running it with the environment variable "allow_higher_compat_version=true" set?

              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kayden View Post

                Did you try running it with the environment variable "allow_higher_compat_version=true" set?
                Eek, I sometimes forget helpful devs post here.

                Yeah, I tried that. It comes up with another error saying "failed to load shaders, reverting to fixed function" and then closes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Panda_Wrist View Post

                  Eek, I sometimes forget helpful devs post here.

                  Yeah, I tried that. It comes up with another error saying "failed to load shaders, reverting to fixed function" and then closes.
                  I went ahead and bought the game, updated my Haswell, and got it running. The game apparently needs both GL 3.3 compatibility profile and GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 support. For the first, you need allow_higher_compat_version=true. For the second, you need to be running Mesa master (support for that recently landed).

                  I opened a merge request to add allow_higher_compat_version=true automatically for FFVIII.exe, so you won't have to do that manually in the future. So hopefully this will work out of the box with 20.0, or master in the meantime. Let me know if you need a hand building master.

                  Enjoy!
                  Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                  Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kayden View Post

                    I went ahead and bought the game, updated my Haswell, and got it running. The game apparently needs both GL 3.3 compatibility profile and GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 support. For the first, you need allow_higher_compat_version=true. For the second, you need to be running Mesa master (support for that recently landed).

                    I opened a merge request to add allow_higher_compat_version=true automatically for FFVIII.exe, so you won't have to do that manually in the future. So hopefully this will work out of the box with 20.0, or master in the meantime. Let me know if you need a hand building master.

                    Enjoy!
                    Oh, WOW!, Thank you very much. I updated my mesa and got it working. Now my little Gigabyte Brix Pro is back to being able to all that I know it can do. Iris Pro 5200 is such a powerful little iGPU if you know its limits. Just sad that Haswell iGPUs are to different from Broadwell and up, to get Iris support. But I guess I can't complain anymore now that i965, ANV, DXVK, and DX9K are all working on all the games and applications, that I expect it being able to handle.

                    So Thank you again and Thank you to all the other devs for their work as well. Me and many others appreciate it. I also hope you enjoy the game, if you get a chance to play it. I love it. I have no clue how many times i've play it, but now I get to play through this version for the first time.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X