Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the latest mitigations enabled?

This graph shows a value of 120:

But Cascade Lake with latest mitigations enabled should have a much higher value of over 400, as found in latest Phoronix test:

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      Are the latest mitigations enabled?

This graph shows a value of 120:

But Cascade Lake with latest mitigations enabled should have a much higher value of over 400, as found in latest Phoronix test:
      All mitigations are enabled at their defaults. The 400+ is only when TSX is enabled and therefore TAA mitigations active, but TSX isn't enabled by default with the Linux 5.4 kernel
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

And what about Intel's MKL tampering against AMD and others?
          Die Math Kernel Library von Intel läuft auf AMD Ryzen langsam. Ein Workaround zeigt jetzt, wie schnell die AMD-CPUs sein können.

Performance
          [-]
          This has netted the system a nickname of "cripple AMD" routine since 2009.[10] As of 2019, MKL, which remains the choice of many pre-compiled Mathematical applications on Windows (such as NumPy, SymPy, and MATLAB), still significantly underperforms on AMD CPUs with equivalent instruction sets.[11]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

All mitigations are enabled at their defaults. The 400+ is only when TSX is enabled and therefore TAA mitigations active, but TSX isn't enabled by default with the Linux 5.4 kernel
            Michael thanks for the benchmarks. Just a question for clarification on Core i9 10980XE, you say hardware mitigations for l1tf, meltdown and spectre. But what about MDS specifically. As the Intel Xeon E-2288G Coffee Lake managed to get hardware mitigations for l1tf, meltdown, spectre and MDS as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post

Michael thanks for the benchmarks. Just a question for clarification on Core i9 10980XE, you say hardware mitigations for l1tf, meltdown and spectre. But what about MDS specifically. As the Intel Xeon E-2288G Coffee Lake managed to get hardware mitigations for l1tf, meltdown, spectre and MDS as well.
              Errr yeah MDS too, forgot to mention it, but as shown on the system table inside the article: "- Core i9 10980XE: itlb_multihit: KVM: Mitigation of Split huge pages + l1tf: Not affected + mds: Not affected + meltdown: Not affected + spec_store_bypass: Mitigation of SSB disabled via prctl and seccomp + spectre_v1: Mitigation of usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization + spectre_v2: Mitigation of Enhanced IBRS IBPB: conditional RSB filling + tsx_async_abort: Mitigation of TSX disabled"
              Michael Larabel

Comment

And no Ryzen 9 3950X in tests? What a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  And no Ryzen 9 3950X in tests? What a bummer.
                  As said several times already and why no 3950X test in any other Phoronix article yet, AMD has yet to supply me any Ryzen 9 3950X and that's why it's not tested....
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

As said several times already and why no 3950X test in any other Phoronix article yet, AMD has yet to supply me any Ryzen 9 3950X and that's why it's not tested....
                    Wow, didn't know that. Sorry!

Comment

Windows vs. Linux 3970X numbers at least will be coming in a few days.
                      Thanks, I will be eagerly awaiting them. If you find the time, please include an Intel HEDT CPU too, even if only on a single distro, as this will tell us if Windows still favors Intel over AMD HEDT for certain workloads like 7-zip, Indigo, etc. That would be more interesting than 5 different Linux distros against Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X