Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 10980XE Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 10980XE Linux Performance Benchmarks

Intel today is rolling out the Core i9 10980XE as their new Cascade Lake X-Series processor that features 18 cores / 36 threads with a maximum turbo frequency of 4.6GHz and TBM 3.0 frequency of 4.8GHz. Following a last minute change, Intel moved up the embargo lift time of the Core i9 1980XE so here are the results we can share with you right now.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, others reviewers aren't quite so content with this Intel release.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      phoronix: Intel core i9 10980xe linux performance benchmarks

intel today is rolling out the core i9 10980xe as their new cascade lake x-series processor that features 18 cores / 36 threads with a maximum turbo frequency of 4.6ghz and tbm 3.0 frequency of 4.8ghz. Following a last minute change, intel moved up the embargo lift time of the core i9 1980xe so here are the results we can share with you right now.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28546
      1980xe?

edit: sorry? how did that get undercase'd?... i wasn't shouting?
      Last edited by tildearrow; 25 November 2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

There should have been 3900X/3950X results as well. Thee will be the competition for Cascade Lake. The Zen2 based ThreadRipper will be in a league of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
          There should have been 3900X/3950X results as well. Thee will be the competition for Cascade Lake. The Zen2 based ThreadRipper will be in a league of its own.
          I was never sent a 3950X so that's why that isn't there. In the AMD article coming up are 3900X results.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The benchmarks are fine but comparing this thing to a now deprecated product is pretty misleading. Other reviews have shown that the new Intel HEDT CPU barely keeps up with AMD's 16-core "mainstream" CPU, which costs less and runs on cheaper mainboards. If you are willing to spend your money on a HEDT system (that means more expensive mainboards, more memory to populate all the memory channels, accelerators to make use of all those PCIe-lanes) you might as well get the Threadripper v3, which costs a few hundred bucks more while absolutely crushing this thing.

Comment

Michael
              Please do the right thing and update this article by including TR 3000 numbers once AMD's embargo expires (a separate article on TR 3000 notwithstanding).

Will we see Windows vs. Linux benchmarks on 10980XE vs. 3960X vs. 3970X? Would be interesting to see if the Microsoft scheduler's NUMA issues have gone away with the new Threadrippers.

kobblestown
              Unfortunately, AMD sampling strategy on 3950X is very messed up. That AMD looks worse than they could is entirely their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Michael
                Please do the right thing and update this article by including TR 3000 numbers once AMD's embargo expires (a separate article on TR 3000 notwithstanding).

Will we see Windows vs. Linux benchmarks on 10980XE vs. 3960X vs. 3970X? Would be interesting to see if the Microsoft scheduler's NUMA issues have gone away with the new Threadrippers.

kobblestown
                Unfortunately, AMD sampling strategy on 3950X is very messed up. That AMD looks worse than they could is entirely their fault.
                Windows vs. Linux 3970X numbers at least will be coming in a few days.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  With the GraphicsMagick imaging benchmarks, the Core i9 10980XE still comes up short of the 2970WX due to it being a 16 core vs. 24 core race albeit at close price points.
                  Isn't the 10980XE 18 cores?

Comment

For a very good and obvious reason Intel does not want to see their LGA 2066 HEDT-CPUs directly put up against TR 3XXX in a test at release time. For 6!!! hours Intel can sell their stuff without being compared to competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X