Intel Haswell To Ice Lake Laptop Performance Benchmarks On Ubuntu 19.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell To Ice Lake Laptop Performance Benchmarks On Ubuntu 19.10

Phoronix: Intel Haswell To Ice Lake Laptop Performance Benchmarks On Ubuntu 19.10

With the many Intel Ice Lake Linux benchmarks we began publishing over the past month since picking up a Dell XPS with Core i7-1065G7, there have been many benchmarks compared to the likes of the Core i7 Whiskey Lake and Kaby Lake processors. For those curious how the performance stacks up going further back, here are some Ubuntu 19.10 laptop benchmarks putting it up against the likes of Core i7 Haswell and Broadwell processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Core i7 5600U Broaswell processor.

Comment

Laptop benchmarks are pretty difficult in my opinion, at least if you're trying to isolate the CPU performance itself. You basically have to take the whole thing as a package, as inevitably performance is almost always a function of the thermal solution of the laptop, rather than the CPU itself.

Especially so in the X1 carbon. I've got a 2013 model myself with an i5-3337u. It's still a great performing system for what I need, yet it's entirely thermally constrained. Base clock of 1.8GHz, max boost clock of 2.7GHz. The thing will only hold boost for maybe 5 seconds before it starts to throttle. For most user workloads that's fine, but anything sustained and you really feel it. That's the tradeoff of the form-factor, they are targeting weight and portability over performance, but it's hard to ever get an idea of the true capabilities of the CPU itself.

Comment

It would be really interesting to see how the high end mobile processors (MQ, HQ, HK) stack up. The PassMark numbers suggest little change from Haswell or even Sandy Bridge through Kaby Lake, until Coffee Lake and refresh finally bumped the core count, but that's a rather limited benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
          It would be really interesting to see how the high end mobile processors (MQ, HQ, HK) stack up. The PassMark numbers suggest little change from Haswell or even Sandy Bridge through Kaby Lake, until Coffee Lake and refresh finally bumped the core count, but that's a rather limited benchmark.
          this might really be the case. During this period there was literally no driving competition on the cpu market. The game everyone blamed intel for keeping high prices with small improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by edenist View Post
            Laptop benchmarks are pretty difficult in my opinion, at least if you're trying to isolate the CPU performance itself. You basically have to take the whole thing as a package, as inevitably performance is almost always a function of the thermal solution of the laptop, rather than the CPU itself.

Especially so in the X1 carbon. I've got a 2013 model myself with an i5-3337u. It's still a great performing system for what I need, yet it's entirely thermally constrained. Base clock of 1.8GHz, max boost clock of 2.7GHz. The thing will only hold boost for maybe 5 seconds before it starts to throttle. For most user workloads that's fine, but anything sustained and you really feel it. That's the tradeoff of the form-factor, they are targeting weight and portability over performance, but it's hard to ever get an idea of the true capabilities of the CPU itself.
            My 4th Gen X1 Carbon holds the 2.7 GHz boost clock consistently, although I guess I did apply Kryonaut to reduce temps, so maybe that's why.

Edit: It's an i5-6200U in case anyone was wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by rlkrlk View Post
              Quite simple, just calculate the performance per thread for these CPU's, you'll get quite different results for some tests. I have a 5 year old Haswell 4710MQ laptop that is still very performant. I have the impression that the only thing from intel that actually got better is less power usage...

Comment

So Geometric mean per thread would be this:
                i7-5600U = 3301
                i7-4558U = 3360
                i5-8250U = 2209
                i5-8265U = 2316
                i7-8550U = 2588
                i7-1065G7 = 3135

This would put the Haswell processor on top and the new Ice lake processor in third place only.

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post
                  So Geometric mean per thread would be this:
                  i7-5600U = 3301
                  i7-4558U = 3360
                  i5-8250U = 2209
                  i5-8265U = 2316
                  i7-8550U = 2588
                  i7-1065G7 = 3135

This would put the Haswell processor on top and the new Ice lake processor in third place only.
                  Interesting set of data, though, would you mind calculating the approximate single-threaded IPC too ?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Interesting set of data, though, would you mind calculating the approximate single-threaded IPC too ?
                    Well, for a rough estimation, not regarding turbo or other states, but purely assuming the standard clockspeed as given by Intel, you get this as IPC:
                    i7-5600U = 1000
                    i7-4558U = 1050
                    i5-8250U = 566
                    i5-8265U = 593
                    i7-8550U = 647
                    i7-1065G7 = 803

This gives Broadwell the top spot, followed by Haswell and IceLake still third.

Comment

Working...
                    X