Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schedutil Frequency Invariance Revised For Better Intel Performance + Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    It's nice to see improvements.

What about Schedutil vs Userspace?

What's the reason of the extremely wide variety of CPU governors in the Android community? Can there be a reason? How to solve it? Maybe CPU governors need to be heavily improved on Linux?
    On Android, the reason for so many governors is they tie in Android stuff to the governors like tap the screen and it'll ramp up or force it to stay on its lowest freq if the screen is off and stuff like that. Some of them do some interesting things and are pretty neat; though most of them are unnecessary and are just some random person's fun project to learn C and kernel development.

I'd reckon that none of them are worth using in regards to desktop users....some of them may benefit laptop & tablet users since most Android governors are designed around trying to balance saving battery life and overall performance.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    It's nice to see improvements.

What about Schedutil vs Userspace?

What's the reason of the extremely wide variety of CPU governors in the Android community? Can there be a reason? How to solve it? Maybe CPU governors need to be heavily improved on Linux?

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Well I suppose it offsets some of the performance degradations thanks to mitigations, a rare scrap of good Intel news.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    So the consumer focused core i3/5/7/9 lines are unable to benefit? Do they lack something that Atom and Skylake X have?
    I don't think so. The patch notes for v4 have benchmarks of Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake so I'd assume the consumer variants work as well.

Michael the link in the article is to v4 and not v5

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    So when will the kernel devs force schedutil for newer Intel CPUs, as they refuse AMD's governor?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    The Linux kernel patches in their current form enable frequency invariance support for Intel Skylake X CPUs as well as Xeon Phi, Atom, and Atom Goldmont parts.
    So the consumer focused core i3/5/7/9 lines are unable to benefit? Do they lack something that Atom and Skylake X have? Curious if a phoronix article is done in future if mainstream CPUs(including AMD) are affected in anyway by it when using schedutil? Is it using some CPU specific instructions/feature that the others lack?(or can it be enabled for others somehow?)

Leave a comment:

• Schedutil Frequency Invariance Revised For Better Intel Performance + Power Efficiency

Phoronix: Schedutil Frequency Invariance Revised For Better Intel Performance + Power Efficiency

SUSE developer Giovanni Gherdovich has sent out the latest patches on supporting frequency invariance within the kernel's scheduler code and ultimately making use of it for select Intel CPUs to yield not only better raw performance but also power efficiency...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X