Running Ice Lake Out In The Cold - Intel Core i7-1065G7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    it appears to be throttling which likely happens at around 80°c.

One thing that i’ve yet to address though is the heat sink / fan assembly. How effective that is at leveraging the thermal differential is yet to be seen.

Or the throttling is more complex than just temperature.

I’d have to look up intel’s specs to see what the maximum junction temperature is but a new process could have that set lower to extend chip life.
    tjunction=100°c

Comment

Originally posted by Imout0 View Post
      The problem with this CPU is that it is impossible to dissipate the heat it generates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WQzy-4D3M
      Repasting my dell inspiron 8250u with Thermal Greasly (Hydronaut) brought the temps down by ~15c and made my laptop much less noisy. Factory paste sucked big time. And it was very thick layer too. I suspect it'd be the same with the 10nm parts.
      Last edited by _Alex_; 04 November 2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

After reading up on the behavior of Ice Lake chips in laptops it looks like it's the power consumption limit that caps the performance here. Ice Lakes limited to 15 W will throttle down to stay within this limit regardless of the temps. I find it a little ridiculous that these chips deliberately cripple themselves under load so in most cases they deliver the same performance as 14 nm Whiskey Lakes; at least that's what the various benchmarks I found say. I guess it's a good thing that I held off getting a new laptop until the mobile versions of 7 nm Ryzens become available.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I had a feeling this wasn't thermal throttling all that bad. Obviously the cold garage made a difference, but for a laptop like this, it isn't a difference that's going to be noticeable to the average user's typical workload.
          See the video in post #5. It's not only thermal throttling, it's thermal throttling so bad, that even the cold garage isn't enough to save it.
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 November 2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            See the video in post #5. It's not only thermal throttling, it's thermal throttling so bad, that even the cold garage isn't enough to save it.
            From what I've seen, Intel uses a combination of power and thermal throttling in their laptops. In the first few seconds it unleashes everything it's got, unless the chip becomes too hot and it gets thermally throttled. After a few seconds of boost it goes down to the TDP-target.

For max performance one needs to ensure that thermal throttling is not an issue (good paste, proper mounting force of the heatsink to the die, no air blockages in the air intake of the laptop etc) and then undervolt the chip to allow higher frequencies in TDP-target mode.

For my 8250 this is tricky because undervolting parameters are different for the ondemand and performance governors. If I take it down 0.11volts, my TDP-target frequency goes up to 2500-2600 instead of 2200-2300 when loaded (cinebench 15 running under wine goes from ~500 in score to ~600, which is more than my Ryzen 2200G desktop).

BUT when ondemand governor tries to underclock and undervolt further on its own during idle moments the system freezes. So you have to manually set it to performance governor in order for the undervolt of -0.11v to be stable, otherwise it's more like -0.05 to -0.07 for the ondemand governor.

Comment

Working...
            X