IWD 1.0 Released As Intel's Wireless Daemon For Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chriswyatt View Post
    I was trying to get it to work the other day. It said it was connected, but no internet. Assumed I maybe missed a step hooking it up to systemd-networkd, but, couldn't figure it out. Usually a quick Google, and you find some other idiot with the same problem, but no luck there.
    Try running dhclient

Comment

Originally posted by guildem View Post
      Thank you for sharing your experience ! I'll definitely give it a try when it will be available on arch repos !
      If you mean IWD in general then it's been there for over 18 months - If you mean version 1.0 then it hit the repos a couple of hours ago

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
        If you mean IWD in general then it's been there for over 18 months - If you mean version 1.0 then it hit the repos a couple of hours ago
        It also seems to not work on arch linux as it segfaults with the newest kernel for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
          It must be something in my system, is anyone using iwd on a Lenovo T530 or maybe with dbus-broker? Just so I can figure out if I am looking at a hardware issue or software issue.
          I've been using it for over a year on a T420 and a few other systems under Arch (and Arch32), with systemd networkd/resolved, no network manager. Last summer I switched to dbus-broker; no issues at all since the initial conversion and reboot. It switches seamlessly between wired and wireless. I'll update to v1.0 tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post

It also seems to not work on arch linux as it segfaults with the newest kernel for some reason
            Should be fixed with 1.0-3

Comment

is there any reason the improvements can't be carried over to wpa_supplicant, instead of making a new thing? reading the other comments here I can tell this'd be a catastrophe if deployed, and I'm sure many aren't sympathetic to development behind closed doors then opening up, especially as wpa_supplicant is just fine

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                How does it compare performance wise? Can any wifi device make use of it?
                it's just a management daemon (like wpa_supplicant is), performance comes from the wifi device drivers.

And yes it's not tied to any specific hardware as it is talking to kernel API to do its job

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
                  is there any reason the improvements can't be carried over to wpa_supplicant, instead of making a new thing?
                  Most of the improvements can't be carried over to wpa_supplicant because of its design goals.
                  iwd is supposed to be a smart daemon acting on its own, wpa_supplicant is designed to be a dumb tool that has to be controlled by something else.
                  iwd is supposed to target only Linux so it does not need to care about abstracting around many different OS APIs, wpa_supplicant is designed to multi-platform.

wpa_supplicant is just fine
                  wpa_supplicant alone is bullshit, you need for the very least a bunch of scripts to deal with wifi disconnect and reconnect automatically.

With iwd you can do without a higher-level network manager application for wifi

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
                    Unfortunately, it logs close to nothing, so when it refuses to work you won't get a clue why.
                    to enable "debug output" (aka enable logging) you need to start it with iwd -d

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
                      ...especially as wpa_supplicant is just fine
                      It really isn't...
                      The New Wi-Fi Experience for Linux - Marcel Holtmann, IntelWith the introduction of the open source wireless daemon iwd, the Wi-Fi experience for Linux has c...

Comment

Working...
                      X