Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Icelake "Gen11" Graphics Are A Huge Upgrade Over Gen9 With Good Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dos1
    replied
    For non 2-in-1, XPS 13 7390 has i3-10110U, i5-10210U, i5-10510U, i7-10710U options for its CPU. There's one more i7 AFAIK in some markets, but it's from the U line as well.

This is the one with G CPUs: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/2-in...-2-in-1-laptop
    This is the one with U CPUs: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...13-7390-laptop

Those are two different laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by dos1 View Post
    There is no Dell XPS 7390 with i7-1065G7. There is a 2-in-1, but that's a different line than the one on the photos.

Remember, there are two separate lines of Dell XPS ultrabooks with the same model numbers - one that can rotate 360° and one that can't. Those get completely different internals.
    My laptop is certainly with the 'i7-1065G7'.

Checking in on my order receipt, it says ' XPS 13 2in1 7390'

But, yes, based on the dual hinges and trying again just now this can't rotate like a 2-in1.

Leave a comment:

• dos1
    replied
    There is no Dell XPS 7390 with i7-1065G7. There is a 2-in-1, but that's a different line than the one on the photos.

Remember, there are two separate lines of Dell XPS ultrabooks with the same model numbers - one that can rotate 360° and one that can't. Those get completely different internals.

When it comes to upgrades over Dell XPS line, this test seems to be comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by dos1; 24 October 2019, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darktable14
    replied
    Does anyone know how the OpenCL performance has improved with Icelake?
    How does it compare with AMD's APU's?
    I'm thinking of Darktable - were in the past Intel's iGPU's were slower than just the CPU. Is that still the case?

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Is that i7-1065G7 configured as 15w or 25w in that laptop?

Leave a comment:

• JMB9
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    SuperTuxKart is still a bit rough on Intel graphics at 10800p

I'm not surprised it's rough at that resolution.
    Well, I would love if 10800p would be possible - may be a typo 1080p i.e. FullHD - otherwise my following comment is meaningless.
    I can play with a friend {same computer} and maximum number of AI karts and would call STK@1920x1080@60Hz a fluent experience - maybe there was some unnecessary graphics features switched off (doesn't show) - but on a 6 year old Haswell iGPU with Intel i7‑4770T, so Icelake should be capable of using 4k res {it should have similar power to AMD Raven Ridge APU, as was guessed from Intel spec for Icelake} - or are there chipset limitations due to the extreme power reduction which decrease performance so severe?

Leave a comment:

• JMB9
    replied
    The question is not if Icelake is superior - it was the first real step since Haswell - but if Intel can deliver real CPUs and not toys for super-thin laptops.
    For those using such devices it is a big win - but for those using workstations Intel has not delivered since more than 6 years.
    And it is to note that Icelake has 8k long before AMD is able to reach 8k - like Haswell delivered real 4k when no 4k screens were available.
    The important desktop is neglected - I don't think that this is a good idea.
    And rumours are that 10 nm architecture of Intel may not be capable enough for a real desktop CPU - thus no Icelake Desktop CPU may appear.
    So this does not help Intel getting a better image on HW - currently they have at least the best reputation concerning Linux driver quality.
    But the hopes AMD can deliver are blown right now - only Navi in principle capable of 8k and no desktop CPU/APU around but still making one Raven Ridge enhancement after another.
    Yes, maybe gamers are happy, but no workstation usage there. And not to speak about drivers - 1st they should be stable, as a 2nd they should get feature complete. From my point of view AMD systems are a risk disaster for Linux users right now. Ans saying its the chipset does not help but showing that they neglect responsibility. From my point of view LF should provide a label for Linux compliance concerning the Linux/Mesa/X.11|Wayland (libinput etc.) stack, for CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, graphic cards, controllers, ... mid 1990-ies one had a list of working HW - which really worked.
    Today you get info about vague support - only to see later that said HW can not be used for a stable system.
    And concerning technical transparency both are a real catastrophy. No date for future products (Intel is working on 10 nm desktop - whow - when? AMD may have a Navi APU someday - when? We will get to now when it is officially released. AMD is well behind concerning Linux support - especially in respect of stability.)
    And the most important news is from driver code (we knew in Oct. 2018 that Intel provides Mesa possibility for 5k+) done by Phoronix - and got the Info with Linux 5.4 it will be doable. I am happy about that pieces of info, but I want to see such information from the HW vendors. And not jokes like DP - yes, HDMI - yes or implementing DP 1.2 in 2018|19 {when DP 1.4 was released on 01. March 2016} (yes, Coffee Lake Refresh: 9th Gen. Core) - so we can not expect to see DP 2.0 in products till mid 2022 {while it was said 1st devices are there end of 2020 - maybe similar to weather forecasts}.
    The only thing missing would be: "It's the best we have right now - just buy it!"
    But at least gamers may be happy ... currently that is all what counts, right? And all graphics is FullHD ready.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    SuperTuxKart is still a bit rough on Intel graphics at 10800p

I'm not surprised it's rough at that resolution.

Leave a comment:

• Intel Icelake "Gen11" Graphics Are A Huge Upgrade Over Gen9 With Good Linux Support

Phoronix: Intel Icelake "Gen11" Graphics Are A Huge Upgrade Over Gen9 With Good Linux Support

Earlier this week I delivered our initial look at the Core i7-1065G7 Icelake Linux performance compared to Whiskey Lake and Kabylake-R. The CPU performance improvements and performance-per-Watt for this 10nm+ CPU is a big upgrade over those earlier notebooks while now here is our first look at how the Icelake "Gen11" graphics compare to those aging Gen9 graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X