Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Working On A New Software Store, User Bundles Arriving Before End Of Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Working On A New Software Store, User Bundles Arriving Before End Of Year

Phoronix: Clear Linux Working On A New Software Store, User Bundles Arriving Before End Of Year

Intel developers are still working on some interesting improvements to Clear Linux itself this quarter on top of keeping up to date with the latest upstream software it packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bundles are one of the worst things about Clear Linux. They are bloated as hell and inconvenient. Another problem is the lack of proprietary packages. If Intel cannot provide them by default in the distribution, they provide them optionally upon user agreement to the licenses.

Another problem is if you need to compile packages and dependencies. My God, it's hell and most of the time it won't work due to the Clear Linux architecture that is focused on being stateless.

The issue of which file systems to select from during installation is another issue, as the installer only provides the option to install using ext4.

Comment

- Support UEFI v1.x would be nice. (Would take that over non-EFI)
      - Support for Mellanox 10GbE (X2) on the Live image is a nice to have.
      - A GUI manager for Kata Containers (perhaps a merge with the KVM VMM?) so I can monitor both VM's and containers in a single view.

Other people are complaining about package management, honestly I think all Linux package managers reek, so anything that is better than what the market has today would be a distinct improvement.

I have a mega core Xeon box that is non-EFI, so it will be interesting how far non-EFI support goes. I would really like to see Clear Linux give that machine a run. There are a lot of Sandy/Ivy Bridge hardware that used UEFI v1.x that Clear cant run from. Dell's, HP's and a few others, all because of legacy UEFI.

I was about to give up on Clear Linux and then like magic, the last few releases have really brought it to life.

It's still not a daily driver, but it is moving quickly. Just keep up that performance.

Comment

Clear, I'd like to use a simple calculator.
        "Ok Dave, you'll be needing the calculator bundle then"
        No no, not a bundle. Just a little calculator app.
        "Ok Dave, calculator bundle with choice of three spreadsheet programs and two databases. Got it."
        No, Clear. I want a calculator. Just a single, simple calculator. No bundle.
        "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."
        Clear - why are you looking at me with that bright red eye like that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Clear, I'd like to use a simple calculator.
          "Ok Dave, you'll be needing the calculator bundle then"
          No no, not a bundle. Just a little calculator app.
          "Ok Dave, calculator bundle with choice of three spreadsheet programs and two databases. Got it."
          No, Clear. I want a calculator. Just a single, simple calculator. No bundle.
          "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."
          Clear - why are you looking at me with that bright red eye like that?
          Doesn't it provide Flatpak packages..

Comment

Even non-EFI support would be welcome here as it would help older hardware to get some benefits from other optimizations (e.g. SSE 4.2 is a reasonable target nowadays and they did support Westmere before). Maybe I'll be able to clean the dust off my Westmere-PC.

I look very much forward how well their 3rd-Party-Software integration works as getting newer/experimental packages with community repos is quite popular on other distros. But I am still not sure how much of a priority desktop PCs are for them as they have to serve IoT and server customers, too.

Comment

Working...
            X