Intel Adds GPU-Accelerated Memory Copy Support To FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Maybe there is a comeback of similar functionality on the AMD side soon, just think of their chiplet approach with HBM on the same package. That implies HSA-like functionality not only on APUs but on their next-gen high performance cores as well.
    You're not the first one to mention this, hoping it will happen soon. I would be over the moon if I had the opportunity to play around with single die Zen+HBM+GPU!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Context is everything. The new memcpy replaces an exisiting, userspace, CPU-based one. That should tell you that this is nothing to do with the buffer memory being outside the process' address space.
      Indeed, I said something stupid. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by syrjala View Post

That's actually just a cache.
        Which is shared with the CPU if I'm not mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          Maybe there is a comeback of similar functionality on the AMD side soon,
          If you're talking about HSA, specifically, then I'm assuming the main reason AMD has seemingly walked away from it is that software vendors never embraced it. Perhaps if MS or Google showed renewed interest, that might be enough to bring it back. Otherwise, RIP HSA.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            If you're talking about HSA, specifically, then I'm assuming the main reason AMD has seemingly walked away from it is that software vendors never embraced it. Perhaps if MS or Google showed renewed interest, that might be enough to bring it back. Otherwise, RIP HSA.
            I meant HSA-like functionality (such as shared virtual memory), not HSA specifically. It has been very calm on the HSA front, they had setup a Chinese chapter which was supposed to bring the standard forward. But I haven't heard of any progress there. SYCL does share some of the concepts of HSA, like a single source programming model and provides some of the same functionality. Maybe that vehicle will bring heterogenious computing on the desktop forward. I am waiting since 2012 for this to happen...

Comment

Working...
            X