No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux Upgrades Its Performance-Optimized Desktop To GNOME 3.34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Clear Linux Upgrades Its Performance-Optimized Desktop To GNOME 3.34

Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Upgrades Its Performance-Optimized Desktop To GNOME 3.34

For those that had been interested in GNOME 3.34 for Intel's Clear Linux when running their developer-focused, performance-optimized desktop those packages have now landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's why I like the developers of Clear Linux. I am the person who opened the ticket on github requesting to upgrade from Gnome 3.32 to 3.34.

The Gnome team has released the 3.34 version of Gnome today. This release promises many performance improvements among other things. https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.34/

They immediately responded to the ticket and the update did not take long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      That's why I like the developers of Clear Linux. I am the person who opened the ticket on github requesting to upgrade from Gnome 3.32 to 3.34.

The Gnome team has released the 3.34 version of Gnome today. This release promises many performance improvements among other things. https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.34/

They immediately responded to the ticket and the update did not take long.
      You shouldn't need to open a ticket.

It's a distributions job to keep on top of updates. Some distros do this well (e.g. SUSE, Fedora, Arch), and some do it badly (e.g. Ubuntu).
      Last edited by Britoid; 01 October 2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Britoid
        1) Ubuntu assign a lot of developer resources to upstream GNOME.

2) Ubuntu do a swift move to 3.34.

3) Ubuntu then updates Debian packages which will benefit all derivatives.

Why are you complaining?
        Please point out where I said GNOME was the package Ubuntu lags in.

Let me link some old packages (all GNOME related).
        https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/geary (this is dangerously old and should probably be removed if you can't keep it updated)

Heck doesn't Ubuntu still ship with GNOME Software 3.30?

and on top of that an outdated mesa gets shipped because Ubuntu doesn't update to major versions (so people run into bugs with games that were already fixed).
        Last edited by Britoid; 01 October 2019, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's a distributions job to keep on top of updates. Some distros do this well (e.g. SUSE, Fedora, Arch), and some do it badly (e.g. Ubuntu).
          Did you read the ticket?

Their reply was that they were already working on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Did you read the ticket?

Their reply was that they were already working on it...
            My comment was a suggestion to the op that you shouldn't need to alert distros to update packages, because they themselves already track it. You should re-read my comment.

Britoid This thread is explicitly about GNOME. Your comment quotes explicitly GNOME stuff.

Geary is/was not GNOME. Software is maintained at 3.30 with minor releases and backports. Ubuntu also work on the upstream.
            GNOME isn't just the Shell, it includes the applications around it. That still doesn't excuse the outdated packages, you'll either up to date or you're not, backported patches don't mean much when it comes to new features and upstream support.

Geary has been following GNOME's release schedule since 3.32. Given the large attack surface of an email client, I would expect it to be of vital importance to keep the package up to date.
            Last edited by Britoid; 01 October 2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Honestly, Arch should be taken off of that list. How fast Arch pushes updates directly correlates with my bad Gnome experiences. Pushing updates fast isn't the same as keeping on top of updates.

Feel free to replace Gnome up there with KDE, systemd, pulseaudio, proprietary GPU drivers & xorg, proprietary GPU drivers & kernels, and random 32-bit multi-lib packages.

Kudos to Clear for doing extra vetting before pushing updates.

Comment

GNOME isn't just the Shell, it includes the applications around it. That still doesn't excuse the outdated packages, you'll either up to date or you're not, backported patches don't mean much when it comes to new features and upstream support.
                I just have to say that that comment really mimics a lot posts in KDE/Plasma threads. Just funny how, regardless of our desktop of choice, there's always that interchangeable usage of the Shell and the Environment names that cause some sort of conflict during discussions.

Comment

Why are you complaining?
                  Because Ubuntu sucks

Comment

Britoid This thread is explicitly about GNOME. Your comment quotes explicitly GNOME stuff.

Geary is/was not GNOME. Software is maintained at 3.30 with minor releases and backports. Ubuntu also work on the upstream.
                    The title says "GNOME", not "GNOME Shell", so his post is relevant.

Comment

Working...
                    X