Intel Releasing FSP For Xeon Scalable Skylake-SP For Coreboot Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releasing FSP For Xeon Scalable Skylake-SP For Coreboot Support

Phoronix: Intel Releasing FSP For Xeon Scalable Skylake-SP For Coreboot Support

Intel in cooperation with Facebook have announced they are releasing a Firmware Support Package (FSP) to allow Xeon Scalable "Skylake-SP" to boot with Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great, and companies should seriously consider buying Tioga Pass 2U OCP instead of servers from Dell, HP, etc.

This is great, but how about Intel open sourcing the FSP for desktop boards? How about do the same for Kaby Lake, Ice Lake, etc?
    On the desktop and laptop. I would like open source FSP too, not only Facebook.

Comment

I don't see "Open Source" being mentioned anywhere apart from IntelOpenSource but that's just their twitter account. I think their FSP package is probably just some blobs needed for coreboot but if they do release it open source, I'm happy to be wrong here.
      Last edited by Tomin; 30 September 2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        This is great, and companies should seriously consider buying Tioga Pass 2U OCP instead of servers from Dell, HP, etc.
        Server firmware differences are mostly irrelevant for companies that buy Dell/HP/Lenovo servers.

This is great, but how about Intel open sourcing the FSP for desktop boards?
        FSP is not opensource, period.

It's the vendor-provided blobs and configured with tools and manuals under NDA that replace 99% of Coreboot functionality.

Comment

Tioga Pass? What advantages does it have over the other brands?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            but if they do release it open source, I'm happy to be wrong here.
            I really doubt they're going to open the source to some firmware...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I really doubt they're going to open the source to some firmware...
              You are not alone.

Comment

Significantly higher density. It also looks very cool in bright acid green. It's part of the Open Compute Project so most of this hardware is interesting if you are a big company that needs many hundreds, space matters.
                This is the puppy, and it's more or less what the average 2U server offers in 1/3 of the size: https://www.opencompute.org/products...io-performance
                You can fit 3 of them in a conventional 2U sized server rack enclosure https://www.opencompute.org/products...ss-1x-l10-sled

Btw, the brand is WyWinn http://www.wiwynn.com/english

Comment

It is a Open Compute Project computer, so all the specs are open. With open source firmware and hardware and everything.

Comment

With open source firmware and hardware and everything.
                    It's still Intel hardware with Coreboot and FSP blobs.

They give extensive specification sheets and board design files, which is much better than average, but you can't call it "open source firmware and hardware".

Comment

Working...
                    X