Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older Broadwell Graphics Performance Is Looking Good With The New Intel Gallium3D OpenGL Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Broadwell Graphics Performance Is Looking Good With The New Intel Gallium3D OpenGL Linux Driver

Phoronix: Older Broadwell Graphics Performance Is Looking Good With The New Intel Gallium3D OpenGL Linux Driver

A majority of our benchmarking of Intel's new Gallium3D OpenGL open-source driver is done with various "Gen9" graphics hardware given its proliferation and not yet having any Icelake Gen11 graphics hardware for Linux benchmarking. But with the Iris Gallium3D going back to supporting Broadwell "Gen8" graphics, here is a fresh look at how that oldest supported Intel hardware is working for this new Linux open-source OpenGL driver compared to the current default "i965" Intel OpenGL driver too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any plan on normalizing the geometric mean to 100,00? Having a random value makes no sense, while using 100,00 you can easily evince the percentage advantage of better drivers.

Comment

I've been seeing a few issues with Iris - which behaves differently with the modesetting and intel ddx https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111499

Comment

I think you should start adding blender somehow with the rendering of cycles and realtime eevee in your benchmarks ...
        by now they are points of reference also for comparison with other platforms .....

Blender Open Data is a platform to collect, display and query the results of hardware and software performance tests - provided by the public.

Realtime Rendering, Physics, Simulations, Animation, and more! I benchmarked everything in Blender and compared Windows Vs Linux! This might surprise you...P...

Comment

Originally posted by nokipaike View Post
          I think you should start adding blender somehow with the rendering of cycles and realtime eevee in your benchmarks ...
          by now they are points of reference also for comparison with other platforms .....

Blender Open Data is a platform to collect, display and query the results of hardware and software performance tests - provided by the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpE2B2QSsa0
          Blender is already in PTS and used in our CPU/OpenCL reviews but not sure what the point is in bringing it up for OpenGL perf? AFAIk, there are no OpenGL perf metrics exposed by Blender.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            but not sure what the point is in bringing it up for OpenGL perf? AFAIk, there are no OpenGL perf metrics exposed by Blender.
            I don't know these technical issues in detail, but since they are open to accepting patches in their code you could make an addition proposal, especially since there is a version made specifically for benchmarks
            (I speak from user totally unrelated to blender team)

it would be nice to see how the machines perform on the new eevee realtime rendering engine
            Last edited by nokipaike; 23 September 2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Does this new Iris Gallium driver have any difference when it comes to Vulkan? Or is it just OpenGL?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                Does this new Iris Gallium driver have any difference when it comes to Vulkan? Or is it just OpenGL?
                It's only an OpenGL driver.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

the driver have at this momment a lot of bugs, render bugs, etc. But I notice some improvements with the iris driver in some games

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    the driver have at this momment a lot of bugs, render bugs, etc. But I notice some improvements with the iris driver in some games
                    We would appreciate any bug reports.
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                    X