Intel's H.265 Encoder SVT-HEVC 1.4.1 Released With Optimizations & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's H.265 Encoder SVT-HEVC 1.4.1 Released With Optimizations & More

Phoronix: Intel's H.265 Encoder SVT-HEVC 1.4.1 Released With Optimizations & More

While not quite as exciting as the big performance boost found with SVT-VP9 for AVX2 CPUs a few days ago, Intel's Scalable Video Technology team has released SVT-HEVC 1.4.1 as their newest feature release to this open-source H.265/HEVC video encoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! Let's hope that the optimizations aren't going to degrade quality. Benchmarks comi-

Some fresh SVT-HEVC benchmarks alongside Intel's other speedy open-source video encoders coming up soon on Phoronix
    never mind...

Comment

Now H.265 is something I actually care about, unlike VP9. All my movies are H.264 and now trying to pick H.265 when available and hoping for AV1 in a few years. Both VP8 & VP9 are dead to me, these are only relevant because of youtube, but even in this case when I use youtube-dl I download the H.264 version and when my future card supports AV1 decoding I'll be picking AV1 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Now H.265 is something I actually care about, unlike VP9. All my movies are H.264 and now trying to pick H.265 when available and hoping for AV1 in a few years. Both VP8 & VP9 are dead to me, these are only relevant because of youtube, but even in this case when I use youtube-dl I download the H.264 version and when my future card supports AV1 decoding I'll be picking AV1 instead.
        You should stay in H.264. H.265 is patent hell.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You should stay in H.264. H.265 is patent hell.
          I know H265 is worse patent wise but I'm not broadcasting my movies elsewhere so I don't care.

Comment

Broadcasting license is one thing; another is the license to implement. If you only use a prepaid hardware implementation, you're fine, but everyone who compiles or distributes something like x265 is supposed to pick up the phone and negotiate a trivial amount of money with 3 licensing organizations and a handful of independent patent holders.

Not saying anyone cares to do that, but most distros restrict distribution of patent encumbered software for that reason, making it a nuisance for the user anyway.
            Last edited by andreano; 13 September 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X