How Intel's Clear Linux Team Cut The Kernel Boot Time From 3 Seconds To 300 ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    So if i understand well from the PDF, what can be done right now without too much work is:
    Probing drivers in async way
    Use lz4 to compress (needs kernel rebuild?)
    boot with mem=xxxxm (but how to add the memory back?)
    and removing lots of kernel modules that they have no use for, note that this is a tailored installation where they know exactly what hardware that will exist at all times so not everything that they have done here can be applied to a generic desktop distribution. Then there is the problem which they stated in the PDF that lots of drivers use large timeouts to handle various pieces of broken hardware out there.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

Damn, i can't join any linux team or i will be an incompetent; thanks for pointing it out, you're a lifesaver.
      I'm still not sure how you call the "Intel's Clear Linux Team (tm)", but that's enough.

Seriously, as often happens in Opensource software, features and optimizations are added when they are needed by developers.
      Don't bother, he is just a Microsoft fanboi/troll that is best to ignore completely.

Comment

How they will improve the time you release your finger from the power button and put it on the keyboard or the mouse is still a mystery...

[EDIT]
        I saw the slide this is not for personal computers purpose...
        Last edited by Danielsan; 11 September 2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          How linux teams are incompetents. The evidence.
          [x] can't write a simple sentence
          [x] calls others incompetent

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
            [x] can't write a simple sentence
            [x] calls others incompetent
            To be fair, I don't English is his/her first language. Of course, if you come on to a Linux forum and tell everyone how Linux sucks and how great Microsoft is (which are the kind of comments coming from this account as of late), you are trolling, no matter what language you speak.
            Last edited by DanL; 11 September 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              To be fair, I don't English is/her first language.
              I think you accidentally a word there.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                You, too...

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  You got right.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    How linux teams are incompetents. The evidence.
                    More like "linux teams never needed to show off like this".

Kernel boot times of 3 seconds are more or less irrelevant when BIOS/UEFI part takes up to 10 seconds, or the onboard flash (embedded system) takes 5 seconds to read on boot, or the SoC init phase takes nearly 20 seconds (modern Qualcomm-Atheros SoCs for routers for example), and also the rest of the OS boot takes again 10 seconds with systemd or some minutes with SysV-like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

To be fair, I don't English is/her first language. Of course, if you come on to a Linux forum and tell everyone how Linux sucks and how great Microsoft is (which are the kind of comments coming from this account as of late), you are trolling, no matter what language you speak.
                      that's not unexpected. He was a Ubuntu user, and got angry at it because it sucks, and as usual Ubuntu = Linux so all Linux is bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X