Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Compiler Changes For Gen12 - Biggest Changes To The ISA Since i965

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Graphics Compiler Changes For Gen12 - Biggest Changes To The ISA Since i965

    Phoronix: Intel Graphics Compiler Changes For Gen12 - Biggest Changes To The ISA Since i965

    Since June Intel's open-source developers have begun volleying the initial open-source graphics driver code for Tigerlake "Gen12" hardware. To date the Gen12 changes haven't been too invasive even with this being the first generation with the "Xe Graphics" engine branding. But that's now changed with a new patch series showing major changes to the graphics instruction set...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-Compiler-Big

  • #2
    A link to the actual github post where you got all the content for this article would be helpful.
    Here it is: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/1884

    Comment


    • #3
      Typo:

      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The Intel Gen12 graphics compiler code code in its current form

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        A link to the actual github post where you got all the content for this article would be helpful.
        Here it is: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/1884
        Every article must have at least a 10:1 ratio of back links to phoronix vs external links, otherwise external links usually not welcome.

        Comment


        • #5
          Removing hardware register scoreboarding for compiler based scheduling? Man, is it 1993 all over again? Hope they fair better than the AMD 29K and Motorola 88K families with this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by willmore View Post
            Removing hardware register scoreboarding for compiler based scheduling? Man, is it 1993 all over again? Hope they fair better than the AMD 29K and Motorola 88K families with this.
            These chips aren't cpus. AFAIR nvidia doesn't do scoreboarding neither with current gpus (they did in some earlier chips).
            Obviously, the idea is to make the EUs simpler and fit in more of them instead (for cpus this doesn't really work since you can't give up single threaded performance). Seems to be a trend present with gen11 already too (as intel removed some functionality like the full 32bit int multiplier, not to mention float (edit: double float of course) capabilities).
            Last edited by mczak; 09-07-2019, 07:39 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Biggest changes to the ISA since 1965, woah, I had no idea intel iGPU's have been around for so long!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Biggest changes to the ISA since 1965, woah, I had no idea intel iGPU's have been around for so long!
                Nope. "i965" is the codename used in the current Mesa driver for Intel.

                Intel didn't exist in 1965; they were founded in 1968.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Nope. "i965" is the codename used in the current Mesa driver for Intel.

                  Intel didn't exist in 1965; they were founded in 1968.
                  It was a joke, lol.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X