Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Intel's Clear Linux On AMD EPYC Rome? Still Significant Performance Uplift Over Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
    Congratulations!
    Here's to 21 years of waiting to share his Bavarian obsession with Michael II/Michaela. ;- )

Leave a comment:

• Niarbeht
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    a child on the way
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Does this release of Clear have the AMD specific kernel parameters removed?

I seem to recall Intel said they were going to remove them going forward but I never heard which release. Just checking.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    The video encoder/decoder stuff is so staggering. How are we not building these codecs this way on every distribution?
    It's just not a matter of how its built/compiled alone but also other changes, which in turn would likely end up pulling in many different optimizations.
    For instance at least as far as the SVT video encoder performance is concerned, I asked Intel devs back at the OSTS conference about the differences.... At least back then their explanation for the big wins were at least then attributed to power management optimizations on Clear.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    The video encoder/decoder stuff is so staggering. Assuming this isn't all about the kernel and support libraries, how are we not building these codecs this way on every distribution?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Would easily make the time for Oktoberfest if that was all, but more pressing is increased ad-block rate / no longer single (freedom) / more expenses to deal with plus a child on the way so no way would be able to make it.
    If it's any consolation, it seems a lot of online journalists are getting hit hard with adblock, but, I wonder how much that will persist after Chrome decides to remove the Adblock extension.
    Didn't know about the kid though (I'm not a Twitter user so if it was mentioned there, I wasn't aware) but congrats - although that might be a damper on time and money for a short term, maybe one day he/she will be able to help run the family business.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied

Would easily make the time for Oktoberfest if that was all, but more pressing is increased ad-block rate / no longer single (freedom) / more expenses to deal with plus a child on the way so no way would be able to make it.
    Congrats! Will you kid take over the benchmark farm one day and code crazy phoronix-scripts? Exciting times ...
    I have two kids, one just went to school. First year is hard, to change your life around this little being. But then it gets more and more fun

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    On the topic of Intel next gen,

This merge request implements support for the Gen12 (Tigerlake) ISA in the i965/Iris compiler back-end. Gen12 is planned to include one of the most in-depth reworks...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

No need to be jealous, I am not such a huge fan of drunken crowds and won't be there either in the forseeable future. But also there are easier and more pleasent ways to enjoy bavarian beer over here in Germany.
    Well true, any Bavarian biergarten is heaven to me Or also other fests like Frühlingsfest, Tollwood, 1 May, etc with some good Augustiner or Tegernseer.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied

Jealous if you're going to the wiesn.... Sadly I will not be making the journey.
    No need to be jealous, I am not such a huge fan of drunken crowds and won't be there either in the forseeable future. But also there are easier and more pleasent ways to enjoy bavarian beer over here in Germany.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X