No announcement yet.

Intel GMA 3000 Performance Q1-07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my computers is equipped with the 965G chipset and hooked to an Apple 23" cinema tft screen under Fedora Core 6. So I know off hand that it works.

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
      One of my computers is equipped with the 965G chipset and hooked to an Apple 23" cinema tft screen under Fedora Core 6. So I know off hand that it works.
      Yes, but I would like to knwo if the 965Q chipset works with wide-screen...

I already saw somewhere in Intel's docs that the 965G supports wide-screen.

Thanks,
      Itai.

Comment

Yes, but I would like to knwo if the 965Q chipset works with wide-screen...
        Ya sure it does.

Why not?

The question is weither or not it supports it in Linux, which is a tougher question.

Essentially you have this problem were under linux these Intel cards can't do anything but bog-standard VESA resolutions.

VESA is a standard for video displays, just has the most generic sort of features enabled. No hardware acceleration, no fancy resolutions, nothing wonderfull. These standards are why you can still use DOS to display output on modern computers and your BIOS can display it's configuration screen on any hardware.

Think of it as a lowest common denominator.

Now under Linux you can use a lot of the hardware acceleration aviable with these cards, however your still generally restricted to the VESA resolutiosn.

With my video card I can enable these extras with a hack program called 915resolution.

With this I can swap out one of the generic resolutions for my custom one. So if I had a widescreen monitor I'd use that to enable it.

But with your video card the 915resolution hack won't work.

Instead Intel and X hackers are working on a more correct solution that will solve this problem for Linux.

I don't know how far it's progressed though. You might be stuck with standard resolutions for the time being.
        Last edited by drag; 22 February 2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I've been playing around with driver settings.

Here is something I've found out...
          You have your AGP size aviable by default. Out of this you can divide it up between VideoRAM and AperTexSize.

For instance on my 945g card I can allocate up to 256 megs of ram for the video card.

For example:
          $ dmesg |grep AGP
          agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

However if I try to allocate all the aviable ram, or very close to the ram then X will start and corrupt the screen. I can still switch back to the console to reboot, but I can't see anything that is going on.

Note that can easily be completely wrong about this.

So these settings have given me the best performance so far:
          Section "Device"
          Identifier "Intel"
          Driver "i810"
          Option "PageFlip" "on"
          VideoRAM 131072
          Option "AperTexSize" "100000"
          EndSection

In the future as X and Mesa folks get the memory management stuff together then this will be unnessicary.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Ya sure it does.

Why not?

The question is weither or not it supports it in Linux, which is a tougher question.

Essentially you have this problem were under linux these Intel cards can't do anything but bog-standard VESA resolutions.

VESA is a standard for video displays, just has the most generic sort of features enabled. No hardware acceleration, no fancy resolutions, nothing wonderfull. These standards are why you can still use DOS to display output on modern computers and your BIOS can display it's configuration screen on any hardware.

Think of it as a lowest common denominator.

Now under Linux you can use a lot of the hardware acceleration aviable with these cards, however your still generally restricted to the VESA resolutiosn.

With my video card I can enable these extras with a hack program called 915resolution.

With this I can swap out one of the generic resolutions for my custom one. So if I had a widescreen monitor I'd use that to enable it.

But with your video card the 915resolution hack won't work.

Instead Intel and X hackers are working on a more correct solution that will solve this problem for Linux.

I don't know how far it's progressed though. You might be stuck with standard resolutions for the time being.
            Thanks for your reply drag.

But again, I must insist, how do you know that Q965 supports wide-screen resolution? "Why not" - is not a good enough answer... After all, I didn't see anywhere in Intel's site that this chip supports wide-screen, whereas I could see explicitly that G965 supports it.

Did u ever see a machine with Q965 that works with wide-screen ? (Either with Windows or with Linux)?

With 915resolution, using the latest ubuntu feisty, I didn't see any wide-screen modes. I have yet to try the xorg 7.2 debs, which should contain support for Q965. After trying these I will post the results here.

I.

Comment

I asked Intel support about it, and shortly after they responded that wide-screen resolution is indeed supported in the Q965 chip. Now all that is left is to find out how well it is supported in the new xorg 7.2 driver.

I.

Comment

Yes, guys, g965 indeed supports wide screens

It works without problems on windows XP.

The problem with wide screen resolutions on linux is in i810 drivers, that receives supported resolutions list from bios and someone in intel was too lazy to fill more possible resolutions (like widescreens).

It is problem for older chipsets also, but 965 is the latest and not yet supported by 915resolution utility or X.org itself.

There is a patch for 915resolution somewhere on the web, but it is not works for me: i have true 1440x900 desktop bot still non-widescreen display and need to scroll desctop to se the whole contents.

if anyone have had any success with patched 915 resolutions please tell me how you got it working? (-:

915resolkution: http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/
                patch: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/018926.html

Comment

Working...
                X