Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Icelake Thunderbolt Support Still Being Squared Away For Linux - Hopefully For 5.4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Icelake Thunderbolt Support Still Being Squared Away For Linux - Hopefully For 5.4

Phoronix: Intel Icelake Thunderbolt Support Still Being Squared Away For Linux - Hopefully For 5.4

Intel Icelake laptops will soon be hitting store shelves and a vast majority of the Linux support has been squared away for many months. Unfortunately one bit still not mainlined is the Thunderbolt support...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Thunderbolt-V3

Shouldn't be a big problem even if they don't back-port to 5.3, as long as there's standard USB and you can live without Thunderbolt for a few months. Fedora, at least, regularly updates to (near) the latest stable kernel release. Fedora 30 started with 5.0.<something>, and is currently at 5.2.8.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      Shouldn't be a big problem even if they don't back-port to 5.3, as long as there's standard USB and you can live without Thunderbolt for a few months. Fedora, at least, regularly updates to (near) the latest stable kernel release. Fedora 30 started with 5.0.<something>, and is currently at 5.2.8.
      Call me a weirdo if you want, but I consider that most distros are too slow adopting new kernel releases.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Call me a weirdo if you want, but I consider that most distros are too slow adopting new kernel releases.
        Indeed, I always run (close to) the most recent version. It should at least be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

Indeed, I always run (close to) the most recent version. It should at least be an option.
          Linux distributions rely on Linux kernel for hardware support. I consider backporting to be mostly a waste of time, instead using those reports debugging and improving newer versions of the kernel.

What about improving this situation instead wasting time and efforts on useless stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Linux distributions rely on Linux kernel for hardware support. I consider backporting to be mostly a waste of time, instead using those reports debugging and improving newer versions of the kernel.

What about improving this situation instead wasting time and efforts on useless stuff?
            CentOS/RHEL at least have the option of using the mainline kernel via EPEL. Ubuntu maintains something they call a ppa, but it's not a real repo so you don't get updates automatically - you have to explicitly install the specific version instead of getting a package that depends on the most recent version. That can probably be rectified. At the moment I'm building my own, however that doesn't come with linux-tools when you build it as debian packages...

Comment

Working...
            X