Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Tries Again To Auto Enable GuC/HuC Functionality For Their Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Tries Again To Auto Enable GuC/HuC Functionality For Their Linux Graphics Driver

    Phoronix: Intel Tries Again To Auto Enable GuC/HuC Functionality For Their Linux Graphics Driver

    Intel previously tried auto-enabling GuC and HuC functionality within their Linux kernel graphics driver but ended up reverting the support since the driver didn't gracefully handle the scenarios of missing/corrupt firmware files. The driver should now be more robust in such situations so they will try again for turning on the automatic behavior, possibly for the upcoming Linux 5.4 cycle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-Enable-Again

  • #2
    As implicated by the text of the article, somehow the reader is supposed to know what GuC and HuC abbreviations stand for.

    I think it's for Get us Coffe and Hares under Cover.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
      As implicated by the text of the article, somehow the reader is supposed to know what GuC and HuC abbreviations stand for.

      I think it's for Get us Coffe and Hares under Cover.
      I don't think their names are publicly known. I believe the "uC" part stands for microcontroller, as they are firmware blobs for microcontrollers.

      This the most detail I can find on what these firmware blobs do:
      https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware
      https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-doc...915.html#wopcm

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        I don't think their names are publicly known. I believe the "uC" part stands for microcontroller, as they are firmware blobs for microcontrollers.
        So, the Intel is trying to enable undisclosed (TOP SECRET) functionality in their GPU driver, but failing to succeed.

        Is that some new sort of marketing strategy? Like: "New Intel processors have many new features, but we won't tell you what they do. SURPRISE!"

        Comment


        • #5
          I think it's more a case of, "In keeping with long-standing and venerable Intel traditions, our new processors have many new features, but..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            I think it's more a case of, "In keeping with long-standing and venerable Intel traditions, our new processors have many new features, but..."
            HuC = Hares under Cover, I'm telling you.

            Comment


            • #7
              For those who want to now:
              GuC: Generic microcontroller - little OS for the graphics controller that handles interrupt-driven task scheduling for the compute cores
              HuC: ? microcontroller ? - for high efficiency video coding
              Maybe using just the acronyms is better ...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                For those who want to now:
                GuC: Generic microcontroller - little OS for the graphics controller that handles interrupt-driven task scheduling for the compute cores
                HuC: ? microcontroller ? - for high efficiency video coding
                Maybe using just the acronyms is better ...
                Maybe H for H.264/265?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                  For those who want to now:
                  GuC: Generic microcontroller - little OS for the graphics controller that handles interrupt-driven task scheduling for the compute cores
                  HuC: ? microcontroller ? - for high efficiency video coding
                  Maybe using just the acronyms is better ...
                  Just brilliant.

                  But that doesn't answer the question: what GuC functionality is being enabled / disabled? OK, I get that a GPU can do without HEVC, but it can't do without task scheduling.

                  So still, here we have an article that is about something, but noone knows what that something actually is.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes please someone expand on what HuC/GuC is, with concrete example on where it is useful...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X