AMD Publishes Documentation On RDNA 1.0 ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynxeye and to quote from your link
    However, unconditionally disabling UMIP for virtual-8086 tasks could be exploited by malicious applications. Hence, disabling UMIP for such kind of tasks is allowed only if the kernel parameter 'umip=novm86' is used. Rather than using the more modern clearcpuid=1234 format for the kernel parameters, we use umip={no|novm86}. This is because the former does cannot cover the three configuration states of UMIP.
    did someone tested
    Code:
    umip=novm86
    ?

Comment

Yeah, umip=novm86 or if that doesn't work, umip=no (it's a bit more readable than clearcpuid=514 .)

Comment

Did umip=no or umip=novm86 actually make it in to the kernel parameters, because when I read the whole lot it isn't very clear.
        Besides that I cannot find it on the kernel parameter list (clearcpuid is there)
        Last edited by DRanged; 03 August 2019, 07:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
          Did umip=no or umip=novm86 actually make it in to the kernel parameters
          Nope. A later version of the patch changed it to the universally used (albeit a bit more obscure unless you look up the cpu features docs) clearcpuid approach.

Comment

Originally posted by mczak View Post
            Nope. A later version of the patch changed it to the universally used (albeit a bit more obscure unless you look up the cpu features docs) clearcpuid approach.
            Thought so. My desktop is a x470 Ryzen 5 3600 with GTX 1070. In dmesg I can see umip entries sofar I have not incurred issues with wine-staging or steam linux, mind you I only play WoW and Diablo3 via Battle.net launcher and Civ5 andCov6 with Steam Linux.
            Only thing I can think of I've been lucky.

ASRock x470 Master SLI, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1070, 16GB mem, Debian testing (bullseye).
            Lenovo Legion y520, Intel i7, GTX 1050, 16GB, 16GB mem, Debian testing (bullseye), with Nvidia drivers, can
            still run for 3 to 5 hrs depending what I do.

Comment

Working...
            X