Intel Launches 11 New Icelake CPUs - Still Just Laptops/2-in-1s Up To 4 Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Ryzen really didn't change much. What Ryzen did was bring AMD back to relevance, since they prior to Ryzen was irrelevant due to not having any even half-decent CPU.
    Ryzen is just on par with the offerings of Intel, and is not significantly better or worse. The offerings that Intel have is rather unimpressive as it stagnant with mere tiny improvements of each generation since Skylake.

No, not this time. They have been doing that for a long time, but the Icelake is actually a new architecture unlike earlier generations which are all based on the old Skylake architecture. So Icelike have in-silicon fixes the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, unlike earlier processors which didn't have in-silicon fixes but had firmware fixes.
    Furthermore Meltdown and Spectre are not instructions, they are vulnerabilities from Hyper-Threading / SMT.
    I know that they are not instructions... I was sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

If you quote AnandTech then quote the entire section, including this:

We don't know if the fixes are hardware or just firmware (microcode) that is shipped by default in the CPU. There are revisions of Coffee Lake that claim to be "hardware" fixes, but they only differ by the microcode they ship with, which is technically "hardware"...
      Well not according to https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...t-rid-spectre/

Not Spectre V1.... It's not all flowers and rainbows yet...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Thirdly,

the ones that say "Hardware+OS" are not fixed. the features that allow the OS to mitigate the vulnerabilities have just been moved from microcode into hardware, still with significant performance impact. meanwhile ARM has a hardware fix for V2 (CSV2) in their newer cores (A76, A77, and recent revisions of A72, A73, and A75) and Intel has a hardware fix for V4 (SSB_NO) in some of their processors (Cascade Lake and recent steppings of Coffee and Whiskey Lake), but not Ice Lake. it obviously is possible to design processors that are immune to all of these vulnerabilities except V1, and Intel just chose not to for Ice Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, not this time. They have been doing that for a long time, but the Icelake is actually a new architecture unlike earlier generations which are all based on the old Skylake architecture. So Icelike have in-silicon fixes the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, unlike earlier processors which didn't have in-silicon fixes but had firmware fixes.
          Furthermore Meltdown and Spectre are not instructions, they are vulnerabilities from Hyper-Threading / SMT.
          Meltdown and the original spectre vulnerabilities were not related to HT/SMT, and Intel did fix some of them in hardware already (though it could be on a hardcoded microcode level, at least fixed independently of the firmware that can be updated from the outside). But yeah icelake was finished after the first batch of these issues came out, so should have a chance of being better fixed on a hardware level.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
            Why is it laptop manufacturers keep fucking up the memory bandwidth for integrated graphics by doing stupid things like soldering in at least one bank of DRAM ?
            cheap and product segmentation (limiting ram size)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

"I'm an idiot and I like it".

FTFY.

Firstly, all OoOE CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre. All of them.

Secondly, Intel fixed Meltdown almost a year ago in hardware.
              That's "hardware". Not actual hardware. They are doing mitigations in microcode shipped b default, and performance suffers.

Comment

Originally posted by msroadkill612 View Post

When you put it like that, you sound rabid...yet you took the words out of my mouth - extreme as it sounds.

OMG, maybe I am not fun at parties after all.

And yet...as "rabid" as i may sound....( the Truth is a harsh mistress at times)....here's more news from the Intel Fail machine.

"The handwriting has been on the wall for some time now, but Intel has quietly dropped its 200 Gb/sec Omni-Path networking from its roadmaps and will be using other technology for interconnects going forward.

Intel confirmed the change with Omni-Path 200 Series switch chips, switches, and network interface cards to The Next Platform, but is not really saying much more about what its interconnect plans are at this time, particularly with its acquisition of programmable Ethernet switch chip maker Barefoot Networks still underway. But Intel did want to make it clear that it is still selling and fully supporting the current Omni-Path 100 Series devices, which as the name suggests have ports running at 100 Gb/sec and which have been deployed in a number of high end systems and supercomputers around the world."

The handwriting has been on the wall for some time now, but Intel has quietly dropped its 200 Gb/sec Omni-Path networking from its roadmaps and will be

Comment

Originally posted by msroadkill612 View Post

When you put it like that, you sound rabid...yet you took the words out of my mouth - extreme as it sounds.

OMG, maybe I am not fun at parties after all.

Charlie Demerjian at Semiaccurate.com SKEWERS ice Lake. He's been ALL over intel for the last 4 years about their outright LIES concerning their 10nm node.

"So in the end what do we have? Ice Lake is a turkey not because of architecture but because of manufacturing. Intel can’t make 10nm products in volume, has delayed several recently, and the future of financial viability is not looking positive for these chips. Ice Lake could potentially be good at some things but the unethical way Intel messaged the line makes that seem very unlikely. Power isn’t better either or Intel would have flooded reviewers with samples. There really is no up side on this launch, you are probably going to be better off with a 14nm Intel laptop which will be marketed as 10th gen as well or if you can wait a little while, hold off for the 7nm AMD Ryzen mobiles.S|A"

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Charlie Demerjian at Semiaccurate.com SKEWERS ice Lake. He's been ALL over intel for the last 4 years about their outright LIES concerning their 10nm node.

"So in the end what do we have? Ice Lake is a turkey not because of architecture but because of manufacturing. Intel can’t make 10nm products in volume, has delayed several recently, and the future of financial viability is not looking positive for these chips. Ice Lake could potentially be good at some things but the unethical way Intel messaged the line makes that seem very unlikely. Power isn’t better either or Intel would have flooded reviewers with samples. There really is no up side on this launch, you are probably going to be better off with a 14nm Intel laptop which will be marketed as 10th gen as well or if you can wait a little while, hold off for the 7nm AMD Ryzen mobiles.S|A"

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2019/08...ake-this-time/
                    I seem to have rudely managed tomiss ur response bu long enough to make a response silly, but revisiting our predictions ~1 y on confirms them & may be of interest.

I didnt say at the time, but important as it is, I have long thought process is not the key problem, architecture is.

7nm wont bring them 64 core & the economies & scaling of modular.

That pivots on Fabric, & a mimic of that is even more distant than process parity.

if intel had similar products to amd at 14nm, they would market their way around it & probable compete ~well, as nvidia does on 14nm.

Just sayin, but its striking to me how relatively primitive interconnects are a little away from the core.

Interconnect speeds are such a trifle vs onboard speeds on the humblest pcS. Distance is a killer. Fabric essentially shrunk distances of multi socket mobos onto a single socket module. It seems an obvious progressive step, but hubris doomed intel to ignore progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X