No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Moving Ahead With Blocking dmesg Access For Non-Root Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So according to Intel, dmesg poses a security risk. Look here, since May 29th. Hardware mitigation on new Intel CPU is a placebo. New security hole discovered.

Recently, out-of-order execution, an important performance optimization in modern high-end processors, has been revealed to pose a significant security threat, allowing information leaks across security domains. In particular, the Meltdown attack leaks information from the operating system kernel to user space, completely eroding the security of the system. To address this and similar attacks, without incurring the performance costs of software countermeasures, Intel includes hardware-based defenses in its recent Coffee Lake R processors. In this work, we show that the recent hardware defenses are not sufficient. Specifically, we present Fallout, a new transient execution attack that leaks information from a previously unexplored microarchitectural component called the store buffer. We show how unprivileged user processes can exploit Fallout to reconstruct privileged information recently written by the kernel. We further show how Fallout can be used to bypass kernel address space randomization. Finally, we identify and explore microcode assists as a hitherto ignored cause of transient execution. Fallout affects all processor generations we have tested. However, we notice a worrying regression, where the newer Coffee Lake R processors are more vulnerable to Fallout than older generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post
      So according to Intel, dmesg poses a security risk. Look here, since May 29th. Hardware mitigation on new Intel CPU is a placebo. New security hole discovered.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.12701
      Fallout, huh.

If the kernel command to enable the fix for that isn't "radaway=on" I'm going to be just a little pissed.

Comment

To get a nice terminal experience, I need to run Wayland or X together with GNOME Terminal in fullscreen?

If I run the terminal from the Linux kernel, then its a bad, ugly, poor experience. 😞
        Can't have 24-bit color, 4K, pretty color theme, anti-aliased fonts, wallpaper, mouse support?

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post
          At firs glance it looks like security through obscurity, but in this current situation it's okay.
          "security through obscurity" is among the most misunderstood concepts in computer security. It does not mean that obscurity is bad, just that it should not form the base of the security.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Disable CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT in your kernel configuration and use mitigations=off in your kernel command line. Use a firewall in your router and a virus scanner in your web folders. Never trust to your OS solutions.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-av-detection/
            So you link to an article that warns that there exists a shell script that bypasses current AV checks and you solution is to use a AV scanner... I think you should either rethink your position there or perhaps use a link that proves your assertion and not the reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

"security through obscurity" is among the most misunderstood concepts in computer security. It does not mean that obscurity is bad, just that it should not form the base of the security.
              Sure, obscurity should be just another step to make system more secure, but not the only one step.

Comment

Move to North Korea, there you would be happier than in the internet.
                You know I loved your stupid non sense posts, trying to tell everyone that everything you think is right and if they think differently at all then they are stupid dumb ass internet trolls. Those post were so much fun to read. That was because you were just giving out harmless opinions that if people would follow wouldn't cause any damage. But when you try stating your "facts" as you like to call everything you say, by telling people to disable their security in the name of security, you are giving out horrible wrong incorrect advise that is dangerous.

And funny how you finally respond to one of my posts that don't say anything about having Michael benchmark your "distro" Could it be that you don't have one? or that you are scared that it will do horrible in the benchmarks? That your 'setup' won't win every test? Or is it that you don't actually use the bullshit you spout? I think its the last one. I bet you are a gnome3 systemd redhat loving user. Why else won't you provide your "distro" for Michael to benchmark. I'm sure he would do it just because he knows that that benchmark would get killer views proving that you are wrong with your setup being the best.

Also never give out "security" advise again. some one might actually listen to you and that would be bad.

Comment

Michael unapproved post replying to debianxfce

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf
                    Is Phoronix now going to report about every tiny change in Clear Linux?

I don't understand why a distribution which has virtually zero relevance in the distro market is getting so much attention on Phoronix.
                    People like me use it. It's also relevant in that it pushes performance, which leads to other distros making the same optimizations.

Comment

"Since Wednesday’s post went live, AV detection rates have grown, but at the time Ars published this article, the rates still remained low. Depending on the file being analyzed, the rates ranged from two to 13, out of 59 AV engines tracked."

Most virus scanners will find it soon. ClamAV updates virus images very often. Japanese are good.
                      Of course the AV scanners will add a signature for it sooner or later but since the geist of your link was that it wasn't detected by any AV:s yet it was a very very strange link to use in order to promote AV scanners!

For the shell scrip in question to work a user have to receive it via e.g e-mail and then deliberately execute it so the fact that there exists infections in the wild tells a story that there exists some mighty stupid admins/users out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X