Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel UHD Graphics 630 With Gallium3D Yields Roughly Radeon HD 5750 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing to note, the UHD 630 has been around for 2 years, so only 10 years behind the top-of-the-line gtx8800 for an iGP is really not that bad.
    It is also half the performance of a UHD 580 which was around 1½ years earlier.
    And uses ⅒ the power.

Its really a lot better than before Broadwell, where the intel iGP was three orders of magnitude slower, and had much lower feature parity.

Comment

I'm slightly curious what the wattage is between those GPUs. Might paint a more interesting picture. I used to have a 5750 and it was a pretty decent GPU for its time, but I remember it also spewed out surprisingly a lot of heat for a mainstream card.

Considering Intel doesn't tend to focus on 3D performance, I'd say these results are actually pretty good, regardless of the 5750 being a decade old.

Comment

In the old Vega 8 & 11 Test from Feb. 2018 they had a lot more power ....
        So the question is why it is not in this list .... Would make more sense for me to compare iGPU with APU's than dedicated Graphiccards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

On Win10 laptop my 620 is a total mess. Unable to Play all xplane planes etc. The distance clipping is wrong etc.

Comment

Please make more budget fremldy comparisons, include rx 550 and older R9 and R7 cards
            Last edited by gsedej; 15 May 2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

This looks pretty good. Considering my experience with Intel's GPUs, I might want to stick with their hardware, especially considering their upcoming dedicated hardware.

Comment

I've got an Intel 655 and a Ryzen 2400g and, as expected, the 2400g is a much better experience although the 655 is about twice as fast as the 630 (single channel) in my cheap HP laptop. I've not tried Gallium for Intel but am hopeful because there's still the flashing issue with games like Crysis.

That said, the size and power consumption of my NUC with its 8259u is truly impressive, and it can even play a few old games, preferably ten year old games like Crysis but it passes the "Does it play Crysis?" test.

Comment

I guess it also should be noted that the Intel iGPU comes in two flavours. the (U)HD which are the ones without eDRAM and the Intel Iris Plus which are the ones with eDRAM (also, the Intel Iris Plus are GT3e which are quite a bit beefier than their counterpart GT2).

The Intel Iris Plus are the 640 (64MB eDRAM), 650 (64MB) and 655 (128MB), and are - among other places - encountered in the NUCs that are i5 or higher.

I'm impressed with the graphics of my NUC7i5 (Iris Plus 640) and so far my main bottleneck is overheating when pushing both the CPU and the GPU for prolonged time without a minor downclock of the CPU (that and that Intel seem to source jet-engines rather than fans).

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

They can be proud of the performance/Watt compared to the 10 year old card...
                    And they dont need a 500W PSU.
                    And they don't need water cooling of whatever was needed.
                    And the heatsink does not weight 1kg.
                    And it does not take up 500x4x10 cm ...

So yeah, well done intel and thanks for supporting Linux.
                    And Intel supports graphics virtualization, which Nvidia and AMD still doesn't support at all for consumer graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

They can be proud of the performance/Watt compared to the 10 year old card...
                      And they dont need a 500W PSU.
                      And they don't need water cooling of whatever was needed.
                      And the heatsink does not weight 1kg.
                      And it does not take up 500x4x10 cm ...

So yeah, well done intel and thanks for supporting Linux.
                      Interestingly, AMD didn't need any of those things, either. You are describing a 9-series enthusiast part, not a 7-series 'light gaming' card. As the once-owner of an HD 6850, I am not surprised to look and see that the 5750 was a single-fan product with a small heat sink and which barely used the 6-pin power connector.

Comment

Working...
                      X