Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Current Intel OpenCL NEO Driver Compute Performance On Ubuntu 19.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Current Intel OpenCL NEO Driver Compute Performance On Ubuntu 19.04

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Current Intel OpenCL NEO Driver Compute Performance On Ubuntu 19.04

With the recent release of Ubuntu 19.04, the new Intel OpenCL NEO compute stack is available in the archive as "intel-opencl-icd" for easy installation. The former Intel open-source OpenCL "Beignet" driver remains available too, for which we took it for a fun round of benchmarking comparison for seeing how these Intel OpenCL Linux drivers currently compete to just running on the CPU via POCL.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems to be shaping up very nicely. Too bad it doesn't work on the HD2000-4000 GPUs (or does it?)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Seems to be shaping up very nicely. Too bad it doesn't work on the HD2000-4000 GPUs (or does it?)
      Broadwell is oldest generation supported. Pre-BDW there is still, of course, Beignet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Too bad LibreOffice no longer works on their OpenCL implementation in Calc. It has been years since the last time I saw it working, at last in Intel/AMD GPUs. That was a nice user case for OpenCL on a largely used program.

Comment

[QUOTE=M@GOid;n1098074]Too bad LibreOffice no longer works on their OpenCL implementation in Calc. It has been years since the last time I saw it working, at last in Intel/AMD GPUs. That was a nice user case for OpenCL on a largely used progra

not yet, I believe in time it will work maybe for 2020 for next ubuntu lts and all distros who use it but it's good to know their opencl is the same for linux and windows and work for cpu/gpu and support for opencl 2.2 is coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            you can do a trick for that, install first the closed source intel opencl only cpu for linux and then beignet, works with debian and ubuntu at least, I test myself, for sandybridge only the cpu works with 1.2, limitations from sandy gpu

Comment

Intel is working hard to take the fight to CUDA and that's an excellent thing. I hope AMD keeps up its efforts too and the new Rocm-driven supercomputer they're launching is certainly encouraging. It's getting to a point where you now seriously need to be looking at your skillset/codebase if you've been suckered by Nvidia because if you're CUDA-only, the future suddenly doesn't look very bright.

On another point it would have been interesting to see some benchmarks here for this integrated GPU compute vs some discrete cards, for example an RX580.

Comment

Did anyone manage to get it to run on F30? https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co.../intel-opencl/ doesn't work for me...

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post
                  Did anyone manage to get it to run on F30? https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co.../intel-opencl/ doesn't work for me...
                  If you're still interested, you can try:

yum install yum-plugin-copr
                  yum copr enable jdanecki/intel-opencl
                  yum install intel-opencl

#IamIntel #JoinTheOdyssey

Comment

Working...
                  X