No announcement yet.

Mplayer, FFmpeg Gain VA-API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does that mean we get a heap of possible (android) Linux devices supporting accelerated playback? Eg. is this an Intel development or is Intel just making use of a Imagination Tech. driver for the PowerVR SGX?

Comment

There is no way vdpau will get into upstream ffmpeg as long as it is only available in the beta driver.
      i think it will not get into ffmpeg at all as long as it depends on a proprietary backend, no matter how useful it is.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        i think it will not get into ffmpeg at all as long as it depends on a proprietary backend, no matter how useful it is.
        Is that really true if the relevant piece of code itself is Free? I mean wouldn't that reasoning also keep them from supporting proprietary codecs?

Comment

Originally posted by kdubya View Post
          This is awesome. My Inspiron Mini 12 gets here today. I was debating on waiting for something similar with nvidia graphics for vdpau... glad I didn't wait.
          It would be really great to see some benchmarks. The GM945 + N270 is completely unable to play even low bitrate 720p h.264. I think the dell mini 10 is also going to be using the GMA500 graphics core.

Comment

it seems UVD/UVD2 is getting left far behind as more and more people work on the other alternatives, or am i reading this massive activitity around all things non UVD wrong, some open UVD docs seem to be required PDQ if its ever to be used ?

" Gwenol? Beauchesne gbeauchesne at ......com
            Thu Jan 29 17:01:18 CET 2009

Previous message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] h264.c: space fix
            Next message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH][0/8] VA API patches summary
            Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

The upcoming patches add VA API support to FFmpeg. They rely on libVA
            changes that are not upstream yet, though the maintainer agreed to
            integrate them for a future release. Those changes are actually
            extensions (new fields) to suit the needs of XvBA and VDPAU backends.
            You can get the current libVA patchset here: .....
            "

Comment

given theres been very few video related replys here at Phoronix, i take it then, that the MB users reading this and the few related threads are not the hardcore linux video readership, were are they all ? and what can we do to bring them and the linux video devs here (oe elsewere)as a central point for all things linux video related?

the old antiquated Usenet message boards archives are fine for seeing whats happening , but its not good for instant feedback and helping advocate HW assisted video on linux to the ordinary users and devs that might like to help improve things, Phoronix doesnt seem that interested in putting these indepth video things on the front pages that often and thats a shame, as theres no incentive for outsiders to gather here....
              Last edited by popper; 02 February 2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                Phoronix doesnt seem that interested in putting these indepth video things on the front pages that often
                Uh, what? There's been articles on VDPAU, VDPAU in mythtv, VDPAU in mplayer, VDPAU in vlc, VDPAU in xine plus every 180.x point release with mostly VDPAU improvements and whatnot from the others so I think they've milked it as far as it goes.

Things are quiet because there's not much to say, nVidia's delivered, AMD got it pushed waaaaay back and Intel doesn't have HD acceleration on most of their hardware. Unless something surprising happens (VDPAU was), I figure the state in three months is pretty much exactly like today. It's not easy to rally people to listen to silence.

Comment

"It's not easy to rally people to listen to silence"

true, thats my point really, how can we get more people interested and coming here, there doesnt seem to be a real place for linux video people to collect around, and more to the point, get all the scattered devs in one web MB place to work on anything video related they might want to for all to see and coment on, contribute with directly.

doom9 is great for the windows side of things and does a hell of a lot to progress things, and gets lots of devs contributing directly there, i cant seem to find the same kind of community web based Message board thing for linux video though, does such a place exist today?

with regards the "VA API patches summary" above, not one single reply was made here, that implys people reading here dont care enough to even comment about it , or wonder were it might take linux, as i have been given the impression "VA API" is the only working open video API at this time werth considering today! i find that silence here rather odd.
                  Last edited by popper; 02 February 2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

This is great! Now only other vendors than intel (so amd/via/nvidia (with nouveau)) should use that, too.
                    Seems though there was a long time no update on VA API (is this a bad thing?).
                    Could one write a generic Gallium3D driver for VA API so that every Gallium3D driver can use this video accel technology? Everything I can think of is Galliumk3D

Comment

I think your question just got answered:
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X