No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Gallium3D Picks Up More Game Performance Optimizations For Mesa 19.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Gallium3D Picks Up More Game Performance Optimizations For Mesa 19.1

Phoronix: Intel Iris Gallium3D Picks Up More Game Performance Optimizations For Mesa 19.1

There is just one week to go until the Mesa 19.1 feature freeze and branching for this next quarterly feature update to these open-source OpenGL/Vulkan Linux drivers. Notable this round is the introduction of the Intel "Iris" Gallium3D driver for supporting Broadwell graphics and newer atop this next-gen OpenGL driver ahead of next year's Xe Graphics dGPU launch. With days to go until the Mesa 19.1 feature freeze, more performance optimizations have landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    in the case of Shadow of Mordor the peak FPS imprves by as much as 83%.

Comment

This commit message is likely wrong, as the max of first two games are bigger than their average...: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...9d0cf1bbecdd46

Code:
      -----------------------------------------------
      | DiRT Rally | +25% (avg) | +17% (max) |
      | Bioshock Infinite | +22% (avg) | +11% (max) |
      | Shadow of Mordor | +27% (avg) | +83% (max) |

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Code:
        Avg. FPS improved by 25%, and Max FPS improved by 17%, it's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          This commit message is likely wrong, as the max of first two games are bigger than their average...: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...9d0cf1bbecdd46

Code:
          | Bioshock Infinite | +22% (avg) | +11% (max) |
          | Shadow of Mordor | +27% (avg) | +83% (max) |
          It is like the following:

40 avg, 60 max => 50 avg, 70 max

Comment

Yeah, normally I only mention the % improvement in the average FPS from the game's benchmark mode. But in a few cases, like Shadow of Mordor, it was clearly removing a bottleneck from certain scenes, allowing the maximum to increase a lot. So I included both.
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Kayden, is iris in good condition for general use at this point, or is it still considered experimental? Does it pass piglit and conformance tests?

Comment

And you should also add iris to features.txt :

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Kayden, is iris in good condition for general use at this point, or is it still considered experimental? Does it pass piglit and conformance tests?
                    A lot of people have been asking me about this lately, so I tried to write up some stuff here:
                    Iris Status (Gitlab)

TL;DR

We're passing most of the tests (but not fully conformant yet), and a lot of games are working well. Performance is pretty decent - a bunch of things are 15% faster than i965, but other things are still slower. Some minor features are missing still. It's pretty usable if you're an adventurous user, and I would be happy to take bug reports on Bugzilla (Drivers/Gallium/Iris). I would not advise shipping it by default yet.
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                    X