No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Performance Q4'08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done some personal side-by-side benchmarking because the software I develop depends heavily on the driver/gpu performance.
    2.4 was very good, 2.5 already regressed quite a bit and 2.6 performs horrible.

Comment

I actually encounter a big bug with the intel stack on ubuntu 8.10, because I never had to use any opengl app before.
      Apart from compiz which runs fine, every ouput I get from an opengl app is garbeled I wanted to update to intel 2.4.3, I downloaded the tar, ./configure, make sudo make install, but the log shows that 2.4.1 is still in use.

Any idea ?

Comment

Could someone tell me how to benchmark Tremulous? I ask because I've tried it in a similar laptop to the one used for the article and what I see is 90fps in Ubuntu 7.10 and 75-80fps in Ubuntu 8.10, so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

I have no idea how to play this game, so I just installed it from the repository, opened it, clicked play. It told me no servers were found and asked me to create one. I click create server, accept all defaults and start playing. I join a team and select a place and simply start moving around until I get killed. All this time I see the FPS mentioned above. Am I missing something?

The laptop is a Santa Rosa based HP, 15.4" display (1280x800), Core 2 Duo T7100, Intel GMA X3100, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by Luis View Post
          Could someone tell me how to benchmark Tremulous? I ask because I've tried it in a similar laptop to the one used for the article and what I see is 90fps in Ubuntu 7.10 and 75-80fps in Ubuntu 8.10, so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

I have no idea how to play this game, so I just installed it from the repository, opened it, clicked play. It told me no servers were found and asked me to create one. I click create server, accept all defaults and start playing. I join a team and select a place and simply start moving around until I get killed. All this time I see the FPS mentioned above. Am I missing something?

The laptop is a Santa Rosa based HP, 15.4" display (1280x800), Core 2 Duo T7100, Intel GMA X3100, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HDD.
          You download http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

and run:

phoronix-test-suite benchmark tremulous

Easy as that
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            You download http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

and run:

phoronix-test-suite benchmark tremulous

Easy as that
            Yes, that was easy, thanks!

Tested in Ubuntu 7.10 and got 42fps. I expect it to drop a bit in 8.10, maybe down to 35fps, but that's still quite better than the 22.6fps you're getting in similar hardware. Will test.

Results here.

UPDATE: Tested with Ubuntu 8.10 and got 24.56fps. Huge regression. I'll try to test with XAA to see if it's just a EXA issue or if there's something more. Results here.

UPDATE2: No improvement with XAA on Ubuntu 8.10. Got a lower 22.5fps.
            Last edited by Luis; 27 December 2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I just tested my X4500 in 8.10 and got 13.26 fps, which is quite a bit worse than yours, and with better hardware! I should also mention that the fps were all over the place, ranging from over 70 to below 5, and on the whole would have been very unplayable. PTS Global results here

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                I just tested my X4500 in 8.10 and got 13.26 fps, which is quite a bit worse than yours, and with better hardware! I should also mention that the fps were all over the place, ranging from over 70 to below 5, and on the whole would have been very unplayable. PTS Global results here
                Yes, your hardware should be up to twice as fast for this benchmark, plus you're testing at a lower resolution (1024x768 vs. 1280x800), so it's sad to see such a miserable performance. If I got 42fps with Ubuntu 7.10 (the game seemed very playable at that framerate), your target with that hardware/resolution should be no less than 90fps once all the issues have been solved. But unfortunately that won't happen before the October 2009 releases (if nothing goes wrong). Oh well...

Comment

Ever decreasing performance

As you can check here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/252094

Performance of Intel Graphics had been decreasing long before Intrepid ibex, since the 2007 series.

Jaunty's performance is just a new step in the wrong direction.

My experience is that the best choice for Linux graphics drivers are ALWAYS "the EVIL" Nvidia cards.

I really would have like to know about this before getting my asus eee 901.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                    Tested Fedora 10 this morning, which was a little better at 18 fps.

Comment

Now I benchmarked on Fedora 10 too and there I got 48fps in Tremulous, so the regression in Ubuntu 8.10 seems to be Ubuntu specific and not an upstream one.

Comment

Working...
                      X