No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Performance Q4'08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My results are very, very different from yours, Michael.

I built the entire X stack on Fedora 10 + Rawhide from fdo git master as of December 19th or so. I then modified xorg.conf to use UXA. This is the crucial bit to enable DRI2, which is really what your system should be testing. The situation with GEM before DRI2 is a sort of "ugly stepchild" partial integration of the full solution.

I'll be posting a similar test to yours on my own blog shortly, reflecting my own perspective on the state of the Intel drivers on a GM965 today. I'll be comparing Fedora 10 + Rawhide + git packages from source, GEM + UXA + DRI2, with Intrepid 8.10.

Thanks,

Sean

Comment

That would be nice allquixotic

I think Michael wanted to make a point. Prove what have been considered as an unachievable feat: being slower than Intel.

Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by mutlu_inek View Post
        For now, you can use an older X (no one forces you to use Ubuntu alpha releases) and simply wait until the dust has settled.
        Can I? From what I've picked on Phoronix, Intel's 4500 IGPs are only supported by the new 2.5 driver, which *I think* requires the latest X and Mesa.

Since this is not my system, I'd very much prefer to put stable software in it. However, if this is a choice between bleeding edge software and a vesa framebuffer, I'd have to go the bleeding edge route.

@allquixotic: Please post your results!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Can I? From what I've picked on Phoronix, Intel's 4500 IGPs are only supported by the new 2.5 driver, which *I think* requires the latest X and Mesa.

Since this is not my system, I'd very much prefer to put stable software in it. However, if this is a choice between bleeding edge software and a vesa framebuffer, I'd have to go the bleeding edge route.

@allquixotic: Please post your results!
          I got one of these 4500HD here and it's perfectly fine with the 2.4.x series. Ubuntu 8.10 is perfectly ok. (Even if it doesn't have xvmc)

Comment

Originally posted by mutlu_inek
            For now, you can use an older X (no one forces you to use Ubuntu alpha releases) and simply wait until the dust has settled.
            Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Replace "Ubuntu alpha releases" by "Intel IGP" in his post and you got your answer

All jokes aside, I'd love to see the results of improvements they made with their new drivers. I guess it shouldn't be that long now.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
              Replace "Ubuntu alpha releases" by "Intel IGP" in his post and you got your answer
              I'd *love* to, but we decided to go with a good matte monitor instead of a video card. Finding a good-quality laptop with a good monitor, video card, size and a reasonable price is an exercise in frustration. I just hope the 4500 lives up to the hype (that is, it offers usable 2d and video with Compiz).

@lucky_: Many thanks, I am relieved it works with 8.10 out of the box! Performance is likely to go up as drivers mature, as was the case with the X3100 between Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10.

Comment

The X4500 works fine in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but dear lord, please improve the performance. It chugs on Tremulous with Linux drivers, and it's completely fine in Windows.

Comment

Apparently it doesn't even have OpenGL 2.0 so some games older than the card aren't playable on it.

Sad. Where are the open-source coders?

Comment

Like others said, you have too many variables. It's not just the X-related stuff that changed between 8.10 and the development snapshot - you've got experimental packages top-to-bottom.

I'm sure some people are sick of hearing me say this by now, but how about that OpenSUSE Build Service? You can pick and choose additional repositories that will let you run experimental packages, and you can easily narrow the scope so that it will only affect certain parts.

For openSUSE 11.0, they've got the "X11:Xorg" repository. For 11.1, they've got "X11rivers:Video". Both of them are available for "one-click install", meaning it'll set up Zypper to look to and, optionally, permanently subscribe to the needed repositories and take care of the dependencies.

That way, you could run stock openSUSE 11.1, and then openSUSE 11.1 stock-with-newer-X-stack.

Oh, by the way, that X11rivers:Video repository I mentioned? Already has an openchrome-drm package. Throwing that out there to show that, yes, they do stay on top of things.

Comment

Launchpad Bug #306014

I'd love to see the difference, when DRI is enabled on Jaunty. Because of bug #603014 DRI isn't enabled as default.

On my two laptops this makes a huge difference (at least on KDE 4 compositing and glxgears), even if I've got the feeling that there's still a (smaller) blocker somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X