Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Finally Announces SVT-AV1, To Be Used By Netflix

Phoronix: Intel Finally Announces SVT-AV1, To Be Used By Netflix

We've been pretty much exclusively reporting on - and benchmarking - the Intel SVT-AV1 open-source encoder since the start of February while finally today Intel has formally announced this initiative. It also turns out Netflix is cooperating with Intel on this Scalable Video Technology with their plan to make use of it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't libaom offer substantially better quality, but single threaded? My plan going forward is to get a Ryzen 9 and do 32 episodes of Dragon Ball in parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
      Doesn't libaom offer substantially better quality, but single threaded? My plan going forward is to get a Ryzen 9 and do 32 episodes of Dragon Ball in parallel.
      That would certainly be better than using SVT-AV1. Its quality is abysmal right now. Fast sure, but until they add all the tools that make AV1 actually efficient, it's barely interesting to benchmark it.

Comment

Someone in the phoronix forum mentioned that a lot of AV1's slowdown is because of a little gain over HEVC, and if those settings removed it would encode much faster, I wonder if it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          ryzen 9? that doesnt exist

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

ryzen 9? that doesnt exist
            I guess, he expects the potential AM4-CPU with two chiplets, which has been hinted at multiple times, to be called Ryzen 9. This hypothetical chip would feature 32 threads.

Comment

It doesn't make any sense to benchmark the speed of encoder without taking its quality into account. While I couldn't find any quality assessments of SVT-AV1, there's a sample of SVT-HEVC that speaks for itself https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...19#post1867819.

Comment

Should fit nicely with their FreeBSD/White box approach for infrastructure.

www.streamingmedia.com has been making more references to Phoronix and their encoding performance tests.

As for quality, the last time I saw a quality problem in any recent movie render was in a movie theater (as artifacts go). As for other encoding shortcomings, (like black levels) the source usually isn't the issue, its the display type.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

I guess, he expects the potential AM4-CPU with two chiplets, which has been hinted at multiple times, to be called Ryzen 9. This hypothetical chip would feature 32 threads.
                  we dont know yet if ryzen 3000 will top at 12 or 16 cores

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

we dont know yet if ryzen 3000 will top at 12 or 16 cores
                    Yes, at least initially. And I guess the marketing department will have the final word on this decision. The technical feasability was even hinted by Lisa Su herself in her CES presentation, hence a 2 x 8-core chiplet CPU would be of no real suprise anymore. And just as every tech enthusiast, I also want to know how it performs.

Comment

Working...
                    X