Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Intel i965 vs. Iris Gallium3D OpenGL Benchmarks On UHD Graphics 620 With Mesa 19.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Intel i965 vs. Iris Gallium3D OpenGL Benchmarks On UHD Graphics 620 With Mesa 19.1

Phoronix: Early Intel i965 vs. Iris Gallium3D OpenGL Benchmarks On UHD Graphics 620 With Mesa 19.1

With yesterday's somewhat of a surprise announcement that Intel is ready to mainline their experimental Iris Gallium3D driver as their "modern" Linux OpenGL driver with numerous design advantages over their long-standing "classic" i965 Mesa driver, here are some fresh benchmarks of that latest driver compared to the current state of their OpenGL driver in Mesa 19.1.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27562

Seems like Gallium (or maybe it's just Iris) has some issues with CPU load peaks.

Comment

thats not bad, specially given there are some important performance optimizations left

Comment

I expected it to be worse, so not bad at all :-)

Comment

Plot3D being slower appears to be due to fast clears - if I disable them in i965, then iris is slightly faster. Those should be coming in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Seems like Gallium (or maybe it's just Iris) has some issues with CPU load peaks.
            I am sure it currently just a naive approach to doing stuff to get things working. Given where the performance of i965 is and the size of the Intel's team we should be seeing a bunch of really fast improvements! Exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
              Plot3D being slower appears to be due to fast clears - if I disable them in i965, then iris is slightly faster. Those should be coming in the near future.
              Keep up the good work! I am sure that that everyone involved will be keeping Michael's laptop / benchmarking farm nice and warm over the next few months

Comment

Surprisingly good this early in the release.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I am sure it currently just a naive approach to doing stuff to get things working. Given where the performance of i965 is and the size of the Intel's team we should be seeing a bunch of really fast improvements! Exciting!
                  And hopefully these improvements would not be only for Iris, but also for other Gallium3D drivers.

Comment

Sorry about my ignorance, but is there difference in GPU and CPU generation? Because Broadwell is 5th and it's written "Gen 8 graphic". If this is the case, then my 6500U will be able to use Iris?

Comment

Working...
                    X