Intel Ready To Add Their Experimental "Iris" Gallium3D Driver To Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ready To Add Their Experimental "Iris" Gallium3D Driver To Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Ready To Add Their Experimental "Iris" Gallium3D Driver To Mesa

For just over the past year Intel open-source driver developers have been developing a new Gallium3D-based OpenGL driver for Linux systems as the eventual replacement to their long-standing "i965 classic" Mesa driver. The Intel developers are now confident enough in the state of this new driver dubbed Iris that they are looking to merge the driver into mainline Mesa proper...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i would like to test it on my 5200u laptop
    iirc previous results were promising

Comment

I'm happy Iris will work on my i7-5775C system. The latest modern accelerated graphics system that doesn't need blobs. Too bad the ME ruins it.

Comment

At these deprecation speed prepare to see Gen 8 Broadwell as legacy...
        There is never a software on par the hardware you get (and pay)

Comment

little disappointed my ivy bridge laptop isn't supported.

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
            At these deprecation speed prepare to see Gen 8 Broadwell as legacy...
            Broadwell is legacy hardware. It's not like it just stops working. It works fine. It could be worse. You could be using NVIDIA gear.

Comment

Congrats to the Intel team! this is awesome news! #GetSomeGallium :P

(also, a little dissappointed that the Pentium II era chipset graphics are not supported #bandwagon :P)

Comment

Michael.

You should look into something like this I bought one and it's a very nice, very low power consuming device with surprising capability. This is the most powerful GPU mounted to an Intel CPU ever, kind of like the Raven Ridge 2400/2200g processors; except at idle my 8259u is pulling 4-7 watts rather than the ~60 watts my 2400g (with 10TB of 3.5 spinning drives) I know you've not had much happiness with the Raven Ridge APUs.

I hate to say things like "I'm pretty impressed with the 3D performance on this Intel processor" but the 8259u with Iris plus is pretty impressive and does smash Kaveri (my favorite integrated GPU until my 2400g).

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Broadwell is legacy hardware. It's not like it just stops working. It works fine. It could be worse. You could be using NVIDIA gear.
                  Or AMD. Remember when Terascale went "legacy" while it was still actively being manufactured and sold, and also capable of running every single game on the market that time?

Comment

For anyone who worried about older hardware: those are still pretty well supported by the other driver "i965", which will work exactly as well as it has been.

Comment

Working...
                    X