Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Graphics Driver Adding Device Local Memory - Possible Start of dGPU Bring-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Driver Adding Device Local Memory - Possible Start of dGPU Bring-Up

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Driver Adding Device Local Memory - Possible Start of dGPU Bring-Up

A big patch series was sent out today amounting to 42 patches and over four thousand lines of code for introducing the concept of memory regions to the Intel Linux graphics driver. The memory regions support is preparing for device local memory with future Intel graphics products...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really cool that they're working on open source drivers so far in advance. Feels really first class citizen.

Comment

What a world we live in that "my next PC might wind up with an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU" isn't just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        What a world we live in that "my next PC might wind up with an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU" isn't just a joke.
        Yes, for me it will be definitely the next combination I'll try in order to be able to replace my now many years old "work horses" that I had hoped to be replaceable in 2017, when I bought an AMD Ryzen 7 and an RX460. While the Ryzen 7 is fine, the RX460 is still unusably unstable, and a workstation without any GPU just isn't possible. So I keep my fingers crossed that "Xe" GPUs will be sold ASAP and end this misery of having no decent options.

Comment

Have had zero major issues with RX580 + DisplayPort. Been running that combo since the drivers merged upstream with stock Arch kernel.

Comment

It never occurred to me that HDMI vs. DisplayPort might cause problems. Given that I generally use thrifted or gifted DVI (or, in a pinch, VGA) monitors with appropriate cables, does that mean there are AMD cards I should stay away from... or possibly even seek out a used nVidia GeForce GTX750 if this one dies on me?

(Currently, I have a DVI->DVI cable plugged in through a passive DP->DVI adapter, an HDMI->DVI cable, and a DVI->DVI cable to connect my spread of monitors and, given that I use a 1280x1024, 1920x1080, 1280x1024 spread and have no plans to change that, I'll probably be using DVI for a while. I actually have a bunch of old 1280x1024 DVI monitors that I'm planning to recap and revive.)

Comment

Working...
            X