Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Python Optimizations Of Clear Linux Against Ubuntu, Intel Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Python Optimizations Of Clear Linux Against Ubuntu, Intel Python

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Python Optimizations Of Clear Linux Against Ubuntu, Intel Python

Stemming from Clear Linux detailing how they optimize Python's performance using various techniques, there's been reader interest in seeing just how their Python build stacks up. Here's a look at the Clear Linux Python performance compared to a few other configurations as well as Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weird how the supposedly optimized Python performs worse than Clear's default python. Cool to see how Clear's default runs so much better vs Ubuntu though.

I'll be really interested to see the pypy benches. Makes me wonder if Clear's default can outperform pypy on Ubuntu.

Comment

It's the contrary.
      Clear's default = clear linux + recent optimisations

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'll be really interested to see the pypy benches. Makes me wonder if Clear's default can outperform pypy on Ubuntu.
        I think it can. Pypy on clear would be very interesting as well.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Weird how the supposedly optimized Python performs worse than Clear's default python.
          AFAIK Upstream Python should be built using PGO. They use their default tests, which covers all/most possible use cases.

But Intel ...
          This change is critical because choosing the proper training task is crucial in the FDO technology. Why? Because each application will generate different block and edge frequency counts. The information in one profile could optimize the performance of one use case, but could also have a negative effect on the performance of other applications at the same time. For this reason, we highly recommend that developers have the option to define the proper training task for their application use case.
          ... seems chooses "the proper training task for their application use case", e.g. to optimize pybench results.

Comment

Really interesting, thanks. I'm also looking forward to seeing the PyPy tests!

Comment

Impressive!

Comment

Which version of python are are you using in the testing on Ubuntu. That isn't clear since ubuntu has both 2.7 and 3.6. I don't want to assume.

Comment

Originally posted by adude View Post
                  Which version of python are are you using in the testing on Ubuntu. That isn't clear since ubuntu has both 2.7 and 3.6. I don't want to assume.
                  Python3 everywhere.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael

SciKit-Learn was a magnitude faster
                    should probably be "SciKit-Learn was an order of magnitude faster?

Comment

Working...
                    X