Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Surprise But Intel Linux Developers Are Working Towards Adaptive-Sync Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Surprise But Intel Linux Developers Are Working Towards Adaptive-Sync Support

    Phoronix: No Surprise But Intel Linux Developers Are Working Towards Adaptive-Sync Support

    Back during the Intel Architecture Day event in December, Intel confirmed that finally with Icelake "Gen 11" graphics there is Adaptive-Sync support after talking about it for several years. While they didn't explicitly mention Linux support, they've been largely spot on for years with supporting new display features on Linux and this should be the case as well with Adaptive-Sync and their next-generation graphics...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...VRR-Linux-Bits

  • #2
    Part of why it took AMD so long to mainline their FreeSync/VRR open-source Direct Rendering Manager support until now with the Linux 5.0 kernel cycle was for seeing that the core DRM/RandR properties they were adding would be suitable for other upstream drivers to support, Intel included.
    That's a beautiful thing. It's one of the reasons I love Open Source.

    Are there any plans for the Open Source Nvidia drivers to take advantage of these AMD-defined, VRR, DRM code paths?

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael - any chance you could add a white list to the forum of users that shouldn't enter a moderation queue? I've had a fair few posts marked as unapproved recently.

      Also: I like much of the content and communication on this forum, but the software itself is awful IMO. Do you have any plans to replace it? Some specific problems I have with it:
      • Performing in-line quotes is very time-consuming and tedious. I know why pal666 does streams of of replies. It's because he can't be bothered to spend ages manually editing a post to do inline replies.
      • The Javascript movement and interaction feels slow, janky and unresponsive.
      • Notifications are awkward to deal with. If there are responses on a thread and you are quoted, you end up re-reading stuff.
      • Super-bright white theme. I prefer dark themes.
      • There's lots of weird arbitary restrictions. Like a post has to have 5 or more characters.
      • There are avatar images but no unique avatar images!
      • There are a ton of strange little behaviours that are not sensible. Just little things that add up to annoyances.
      • Copying and pasting doesn't work how I'd like; it preserves to much formatting from the source you are copying from. I often find myself pasting into a plain text editor and then copy and pasting that into this forum to strip formatting.
      • It just generally feels unnecessarily heavy.
      If you don't plan on replacing it, that's OK. I'll still be here. I kinda just want to let you know that, I, for-one don't like this software. I much prefer forums with lighter, less javascript-heavy, simpler forums: ideally with a dark theme option.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        Michael - any chance you could add a white list to the forum of users that shouldn't enter a moderation queue? I've had a fair few posts marked as unapproved recently.

        Also: I like much of the content and communication on this forum, but the software itself is awful IMO. Do you have any plans to replace it? Some specific problems I have with it:
        • Performing in-line quotes is very time-consuming and tedious. I know why pal666 does streams of of replies. It's because he can't be bothered to spend ages manually editing a post to do inline replies.
        • The Javascript movement and interaction feels slow, janky and unresponsive.
        • Notifications are awkward to deal with. If there are responses on a thread and you are quoted, you end up re-reading stuff.
        • Super-bright white theme. I prefer dark themes.
        • There's lots of weird arbitary restrictions. Like a post has to have 5 or more characters.
        • There are avatar images but no unique avatar images!
        • There are a ton of strange little behaviours that are not sensible. Just little things that add up to annoyances.
        • Copying and pasting doesn't work how I'd like; it preserves to much formatting from the source you are copying from. I often find myself pasting into a plain text editor and then copy and pasting that into this forum to strip formatting.
        • It just generally feels unnecessarily heavy.
        If you don't plan on replacing it, that's OK. I'll still be here. I kinda just want to let you know that, I, for-one don't like this software. I much prefer forums with lighter, less javascript-heavy, simpler forums: ideally with a dark theme option.
        I am not opposed to replacing it but haven't found a capable replacement that is secure and can 'seamlessly' migrate all of the data. Regarding the mod queue, upgraded to the latest vbulletin release a few days ago. Will see if there is any new options for improving the mod queue workflow.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post

          I am not opposed to replacing it but haven't found a capable replacement that is secure and can 'seamlessly' migrate all of the data. Regarding the mod queue, upgraded to the latest vbulletin release a few days ago. Will see if there is any new options for improving the mod queue workflow.
          Thanks.

          Here's one to consider: https://fluxbb.org/

          Again: I speak for myself. It might be that most people here like the current software. I guess if you did consider replacing it, you could run a poll and make a forum topic to gather opinions.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            Again: I speak for myself. It might be that most people here like the current software. I guess if you did consider replacing it, you could run a poll and make a forum topic to gather opinions.
            Compared to the forum from a few years ago, this new one is amazing. Sure, a lot of your suggestions are nice, but not a necessity. Personally, I don't find it feels all that heavy, and the "arbitrary restrictions" are to prevent spam.

            BTW, regarding your complaint about copy+paste carrying formatting, these forums have a fix for that:
            Toggle the "Advanced Editor" (the button that looks like "A"), highlight the pasted text, and then press the "Remove Format" button which looks like "Tx".

            Comment


            • #7
              Are radv developers working on it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                BTW, regarding your complaint about copy+paste carrying formatting, these forums have a fix for that:
                Toggle the "Advanced Editor" (the button that looks like "A"), highlight the pasted text, and then press the "Remove Format" button which looks like "Tx".
                Thanks. It's not perfect though. I just copied your username from the little side, profile bit (something I do sometimes). Here it is pasted as is:

                shmerl

                Here it is pasted again but with that button you mentioned applied to the copied text:

                shmerl

                It got rid of the bold formatting, but it's still a hyperlink.

                I didn't list off all the little things that are broken with this forum. Here's a new thing I just found that's broken. Reply to this text and then grab the little dotted handle thing with your mouse to increase the size of the text box. Move it to the bottom of the screen and back up. Notice how it decouples from the vertical position of your cursor. More random things: notifications sometimes don't take me to the page. There's a facebook share link (that's a bug IMO). When I cancel a post, I can't always discard the text I entered. It keeps it around for some reason. The "code" formatting feature does all kinds of weird shit to the code you put inside it; last time I used it, it seemingly randomly deleted a bunch of empty lines, which I then had to add back. It adjusted the letter case of one of my comments without asking me; it even adjusted the case of the quoted portion of text! You can't edit unapproved posts, meaning if you make a mistake, you can't conveniently correct it before other people end up seeing it. Scrolling feels slow; I think it must be doing something with JS or CSS which Firefox struggles to process efficiently. I know that Firefox will do hardware accelerated vertical scrolling if it can, but if the page does something which requires a redraw, then it can't do the hardware acceleration. It's a page of static text, so why is there stuff in it which is causing Firefox to have to redraw? (yes: my computer is pretty old and I should probably replace it so that it works better with all the slow, badly designed web software out there)

                All of that is just what I can think of off the top of my head. I like communicating with people here, but the software is horrible for me.

                There's another forum I have posted on in the past that used vBulletin version 3.x, and it was a much nicer experience than this.

                If you're reading this Michael: I'm not trying to put your setup down. I love your work and appreciate that you maintain this forum for us. It must take a lot of time to do all you do. This is just my honest experience of this forum software.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

                  Thanks.

                  Here's one to consider: https://fluxbb.org/

                  Again: I speak for myself. It might be that most people here like the current software. I guess if you did consider replacing it, you could run a poll and make a forum topic to gather opinions.
                  I like the current software. But why not replace with SMF? (https://www.simplemachines.org/) It's open source, free, quite popular, supports lots and lots of mods (as in: modifications) through a one-click install, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Compared to the forum from a few years ago, this new one is amazing. Sure, a lot of your suggestions are nice, but not a necessity. Personally, I don't find it feels all that heavy, and the "arbitrary restrictions" are to prevent spam.

                    BTW, regarding your complaint about copy+paste carrying formatting, these forums have a fix for that:
                    Toggle the "Advanced Editor" (the button that looks like "A"), highlight the pasted text, and then press the "Remove Format" button which looks like "Tx".
                    The main things I don't like are
                    • Seemingly arbitrary messages get sent into spam and require Michael to approve before they show up. Even from premium members who have posted here for years, or "verified" people like bridgman.
                    • No way of blocking people, so you can put someone on an ignore list
                    • Refreshing the page (in firefox at least) sometimes reloads correctly, and other times it resets the scroll up to the top of the page, losing my position
                    • Quoting/replying to people is a little clunky, but i don't think it's that bad.
                    • It'd be nice if you could adjust how many messages are displayed on 1 page
                    • The next/prev page buttons seem odd too. And if you click next -> next, i often end up hitting the subscribe button because of the scrolling that happens after the first click.
                    For the most part I don't think it's that bad, particularly if you could fix the top 2 items listed.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 02-14-2019, 04:17 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X